Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I be using optimized or proxy media?

I normally import my footage to the library and create optimized media, and that always works out fine for me. With my recent project, I'm unable to copy to the library and optimize media as I keep running out of disk space (brand new 5TB drive). What do I do? Should I not create optimized media? Do I go with proxy files? What problems will I face with this option? Or what other options do I have?

Thank you!

iMac 27″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Aug 16, 2021 12:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2021 1:21 PM

You do NOT have to make that option at the time of importing.

You can create proxy or optimized media LATER, if and when you need it - and probably you won't.

FCP can handle H264 media just fine without optimizing.

Similar questions

7 replies

Aug 16, 2021 12:58 PM in response to tarsierspectral123

What exactly is the media? In most cases it's not necessary. If you have playback problems you can create proxies.

Use File> Deleted Generated Library Files to get rid of optimized, epoxy, and render files. Switch off background rendering.

P.S. Make sure create optimized for multicam is switched off in preferences or it will do it automatically.

Should I be using optimized or proxy media?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.