Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Warning: smelly, disintegrating cables

The problem of smelly cables still hasn't been fixed. It's an acidic, moldy sort of smell.

I returned the first 2-meter USB-C charging cable, only to have it replaced by a second equally stinky cable. Not only are they smelly, they also are disintegrating and leave a white residue on anything they touch.

Really embarrassing for Apple, especially as they promote their high environmental standards. What a waste.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Aug 16, 2021 6:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2021 8:05 PM

No, the smell is obvious when the package is opened. They are band new, unused cables. I have a chemistry background and the smell suggests depolymerization (i.e., plastic breakdown).

Most of the reports I found are about the 2 meter cables, which might be a less common length. Some people think that their laptops are the problem, only to discover that it is the charging cable.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 16, 2021 8:05 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

No, the smell is obvious when the package is opened. They are band new, unused cables. I have a chemistry background and the smell suggests depolymerization (i.e., plastic breakdown).

Most of the reports I found are about the 2 meter cables, which might be a less common length. Some people think that their laptops are the problem, only to discover that it is the charging cable.

Aug 16, 2021 8:19 PM in response to preludio

Unfortunately, Apple will not see your concern here. This is a community of end users; Apple cannot scan the 100s of thousands of posts here from around the English-speaking world.

To place this important concern before Apple, please use this feedback link:

Feedback - MacBook Pro - Apple

I returned the first 2-meter USB-C charging cable, only to have it replaced by a second equally stinky cable.

Curious. Was the exchange handled directly by Apple or through a reseller?

Aug 17, 2021 7:59 AM in response to Allan Jones

I know Apple does not monitor their own forums. I posted here to help other users if they find themselves in a similar situation.

I reported to Apple the first time through tech support. They know about this. The second time I tried to use the online feedback, but there's nothing for accessories. It's not a MacBook Pro issue, or an iPad issue, even though I use the cable with both. So, I'm posting here.

I bought the cable from Apple, and Apple said they shipped it. I have no idea what supplier or reseller they have used. The packaging did not have Apple on the return address, but that's typical. It shipped from Lebanon, TN.

FWIW, I had this happen years ago with EarPods that came with an iPhone. Same stink, same sticky grit. Because I already had several pair, I just threw those out. This happened right around when they announced that they were changing the plastic to be as part of their environmental initiatives, so I chalked it up to that.

Warning: smelly, disintegrating cables

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.