Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update Hard Drive to SSD

What is the cost to replace my iMac's current hard drive to an SSD?

Thanks!

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 17, 2021 7:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2021 2:07 PM

I would use your existing SSD as your boot drive, paticularly if your Mac uses a HD to start up or a Fusion drive. This can be easily done by using a cloning apps such as SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner and clone your internal drive to the external SSD. Then all you need to do is go into System Preferences - Startup Drive and assign the SSD as your startup drive and enjoy a much faster SSD.

For a backup I would get a OWC Mercury Elite Pro and use that as either your Time Machine backup drive or you can also use one of the cloning apps mentioned above to do a clone daily. Personally I am paranoid about backups, why becuase backups can fail too. I use both Time Machine on one EHD and on a totally seperate EHD I use SuperDuper! to clone my internal drive nightly while i am sleeping.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2021 2:07 PM in response to Taylor Brown

I would use your existing SSD as your boot drive, paticularly if your Mac uses a HD to start up or a Fusion drive. This can be easily done by using a cloning apps such as SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner and clone your internal drive to the external SSD. Then all you need to do is go into System Preferences - Startup Drive and assign the SSD as your startup drive and enjoy a much faster SSD.

For a backup I would get a OWC Mercury Elite Pro and use that as either your Time Machine backup drive or you can also use one of the cloning apps mentioned above to do a clone daily. Personally I am paranoid about backups, why becuase backups can fail too. I use both Time Machine on one EHD and on a totally seperate EHD I use SuperDuper! to clone my internal drive nightly while i am sleeping.

Update Hard Drive to SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.