Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Startup Page MacBookAir

I would like MacBook Air to open with the homepage selected at startup. I have selected the homepage URL in Safari preferences and believe followed instructions. My settings follow:

• Safari Opens With: New Window
  • New Window Opens With: Empty Page
  • New Tabs Open With: Empty Page
  • Homepage: Selected URL for Homepage

What other tabs or switches should be selected? Frustrated as at one time when computer started would open with home page. Have searched the community and followed found suggestions but still fail to open homepage. Help will be greatly appreciated.

MacBook Air Early 2105

Mojave 10.14.6

Safari 14.1.2

No pending updates

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Aug 17, 2021 8:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2021 8:38 AM

If you want Safari to automatically start when you login to your Mac, see the following from https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/open-items-automatically-when-you-log-in-mh15189/mac

You can have apps, documents, folders, or server connections open automatically whenever you log in to your Mac.

Add or remove automatic items

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Users & Groups.
  2. Select your user account, then click Login Items at the top of the window.
  3. Do any of the following:
    • Add a login item: Click the Add button  below the list of items, select a document, folder, app, server, or other item, then click Add.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 20, 2021 8:38 AM in response to musiu

If you want Safari to automatically start when you login to your Mac, see the following from https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/open-items-automatically-when-you-log-in-mh15189/mac

You can have apps, documents, folders, or server connections open automatically whenever you log in to your Mac.

Add or remove automatic items

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Users & Groups.
  2. Select your user account, then click Login Items at the top of the window.
  3. Do any of the following:
    • Add a login item: Click the Add button  below the list of items, select a document, folder, app, server, or other item, then click Add.

Aug 18, 2021 6:57 PM in response to FoxFifth

FoxFith: I truly appreciate your effort in my behalf.

• I do have a check mark in front of "Close windows when quitting an app.
  • At startup I get Safari and then I can click on my Homepage icon in the menu bar for my homepage.

You definitely have your thinking cap on & believe you will find "the missing link".

Thanks and carefully watching responses.

Aug 18, 2021 10:31 AM in response to FoxFifth

FoxFith: Many thanks for your response and help. I changed the line as you suggested and my setting now read as below.

Safari Opens With: New Window

New Window Opens With: Homepage

New Tabs Open With: Empty Page

Homepage: Selected URL for Homepage

Unfortunately this change did not open the homepage at startup. Do you have another suggestion in magic bag? I cannot decipher this problem. I do believe it is some minor item.

Anxiously await your next assistance.

Aug 18, 2021 1:06 PM in response to musiu

The following two options are all that should be needed for it to open with your selected homepage when you start Safari. That has always worked for me and I cannot think of anything else to suggest:

Safari Opens With: New Window

New Window Opens With: Homepage

What is yours actually opening to, if not the homepage, when you start Safari?

Aug 18, 2021 7:11 PM in response to musiu

FoxFith: Please note the time difference between my responses. I took note of your suggestion of the check mark next to "Close windows when quitting an app." I returned to systems preferences read the instructions and removed the check mark. Restarted the computer. Bingo my home page opened when rebooted. Will now put computer to sleep and will advise you tomorrow after startup if homepage opened again.

Thanks for stirring my mind.

Aug 19, 2021 9:45 AM in response to musiu

FoxFith: My exuberance has ended. Additional startups since my last post failed to open homepage. I have reset all to those you suggested. My description of startup page may not have been correct. Computer starts with Mojave homepage which is view of canyons. The dock bar opens and I click Safari (dot beneath Safari icon indicates Safari open). After click on Safari the Safari tool bar opens & I can click on homepage icon. I hope this describes the startup process clearly.

What a dilemma fo what should be a simple procedure. I thank you once again for you to bear with me on this situation.

Aug 19, 2021 6:27 PM in response to FoxFifth

When I click on the Safari icon on the dock the screen has the Mojave canyon scene. My description. The Safari tool bar is not on the screen. The black dot is underneath the Safari icon on the dock however. Does this not indicate Safari opened?

Trust this answers your question. Your effort in my behalf impressive. Thanks

Aug 19, 2021 6:35 PM in response to musiu

In a previous post you indicated "...and then I can click on my Homepage icon in the menu bar for my homepage."

That would mean that Safari is running and that you can access the toolbar in Safari.

You also indicated that you can get to Safari Preferences -- which also would indicate that Safari is running.

But your last post sounds like Safari is not running but is only displaying the black dot below the Dock icon.

Can you clarify?

Aug 19, 2021 7:01 PM in response to FoxFifth

Yes, you are correct. Safari not running when I boot and the page with Mojave scene on screen. Yes, black dot under Safari icon. I must click on Safari icon in dock to open Safari and to use Preferences or move to another page.

When I do click on Safari icon my homepage loads. This is homepage I would like to have open with startup.

I hope this now a clear description of actions when computer starts. Difficult for me to give precise description.

Thanks again.

Sep 6, 2021 2:10 PM in response to FoxFifth

FoxFith: Thanks once again for your time spent on my desire for Homepage to open when booting. I had to set this project aside for a few days due to some other activities. I now carefully reviewed all your suggestions and very pleased to announce that my selected HP opens when computer booted. If I asked to identify which setting I changed I could not do so.

For at least 6 days the computer has booted as expected. May it continue. Much time spent on this project just too satisfy my desire.

I truly appreciate your effort. You are a large contributor that makes this Community so valuable.

Startup Page MacBookAir

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.