Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Import and deleting photos

Hi Guys,

Is there a way to import all my photos onto my Mac Pro from my phone and then delete the photos from my phone without knocking of my iCloud? Is there a way to just create new folders to save them into instead? Not a tech person at all so thank you so much in advance :).

Thanks all.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 17, 2021 3:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2021 3:13 PM

If iCloud Photo Library feature is on, then no. iCloud acts like a hub to keep all your devices connected to your Apple ID synchronized. That's the main function of iCloud actually. It stores your data (some of it in specific folders and apps, not everything) and allows you to access them all on any device. If you manage that data (add, delete, rename, move, etc.) in those devices, it'll then be replicated to all others. That's what iCloud is for.

To do as you asked with your photos you must deactivate iCloud Photo Library, so you'll be able to freely manage your photos, but it'll stop doing things automatically and you'll have to copy/move them to any place you want them, just like the old days.

More about it all:

Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

Get help with iCloud Photos - Apple Support

Manage your photo and video storage - Apple Support

Optimize storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

And inside those articles you get a number of other links that'll teach you even more.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2021 3:13 PM in response to Sky-high12

If iCloud Photo Library feature is on, then no. iCloud acts like a hub to keep all your devices connected to your Apple ID synchronized. That's the main function of iCloud actually. It stores your data (some of it in specific folders and apps, not everything) and allows you to access them all on any device. If you manage that data (add, delete, rename, move, etc.) in those devices, it'll then be replicated to all others. That's what iCloud is for.

To do as you asked with your photos you must deactivate iCloud Photo Library, so you'll be able to freely manage your photos, but it'll stop doing things automatically and you'll have to copy/move them to any place you want them, just like the old days.

More about it all:

Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

Get help with iCloud Photos - Apple Support

Manage your photo and video storage - Apple Support

Optimize storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

And inside those articles you get a number of other links that'll teach you even more.

Sep 2, 2021 6:28 PM in response to Sky-high12

Sorry for the delay.

Here you can find some info on deactivating iCloud Photos Get help with iCloud Photos - Apple Support

See this part:

How do I turn off iCloud Photos on only one device?
You can turn off iCloud Photos on a single device when you follow these steps:
On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Photos, then turn off iCloud Photos.
On your Mac, open the Photos app, then choose Photos > Preferences, then click iCloud, then deselect iCloud Photos.
On your Apple TV 4K or Apple TV HD, go to Settings > Accounts > iCloud. Under Photos, press Select to turn off iCloud Photos.
If you have Optimize Storage turned on, you might not have all of your original photos and videos on your device. To download the original photos and videos on your iOS device, go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Photos and select Download and Keep Originals. On your Mac, open Photos, choose Photos > Preferences, then click iCloud, then select Download Originals to this Mac. Keep your device plugged in to power and connected to the internet. After your originals download, you can turn off iCloud Photos. You can also select the photos and videos that you want to download from iCloud.com.
Before you turn off iCloud Photos, you might want to make a copy of your photos and videos.

Be aware that if you don't have all your photos uploaded to iCloud, you have to make sure everything is on a backup, on your phone, etc. Check Photos on www.icloud.com if you can see everything there.

Just some more information https://www.howtogeek.com/720773/how-to-disable-icloud-photos-on-mac/

Import and deleting photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.