Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Allocation Unit size and Mac OS

Recently, I plugged in a NT drive after installing Paragon NT for Mac. Paragon sees the disk but can't mount it It turns out that Macs are only able to work with certain allocation unit size. For example, if I plug in a exfat drive that uses the allocation unit of 4096 bytes, it won't mount. I had to change the allocation unit to 128K for the drive to mount. Any ideas?

Posted on Aug 17, 2021 10:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2021 7:08 AM

Thanks,

I have formatted exfat on the apple side to make them compatible. However, it would be nice to have some documentation on what the limitations are. I notice that the issue occur when the disk size is large. For example, I have no problems with thumb drives, but a 5TB exfat could not be mounted until you change the unit allocation size to 128K. I have even tried a smaller size like 64K, but 128K is apparently the min.

For NTFS I have ask Paragon. Again, it appears to be an issue with large disk size.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 18, 2021 7:08 AM in response to Matti Haveri

Thanks,

I have formatted exfat on the apple side to make them compatible. However, it would be nice to have some documentation on what the limitations are. I notice that the issue occur when the disk size is large. For example, I have no problems with thumb drives, but a 5TB exfat could not be mounted until you change the unit allocation size to 128K. I have even tried a smaller size like 64K, but 128K is apparently the min.

For NTFS I have ask Paragon. Again, it appears to be an issue with large disk size.

Aug 18, 2021 7:11 AM in response to PRP_53

No Paragon software is the version that I downloaded as a trial. I plan to pay for it if it test out to be working. Out of the three I have tried to test:

• Iboystore did not allow me to do a free trial because their server is down for a week. The latter lead me not to consider them since it implies they might be poor at maintenance.
  • Tuxera did not work for some reason.
  • Paragon so far seems to work pretty well except for the unit allocation. Initial test indicate that performance is actually pretty close to window's.

Aug 18, 2021 7:13 AM in response to GentryAi

https://www.hcc-embedded.com/products/fat-file-systems/exfat

• exFAT is a lightweight file system like FAT 32 (“lightweight” because it lacks NTFS’s extra features and their associated overheads).
  • exFAT supports greater file size and partition size limits than FAT 32. FAT 32 has a 4GB maximum file size and 8TB maximum partition size, whereas you can store files that are larger than 4GB each on a flash drive or SD card formatted with exFAT.  exFAT’s maximum file size limit is 16EiB (Exbibyte).
  • exFAT is compatible with more devices than NTFS, making it the system to use when copying/sharing large files between OSes. The Mac OS X has only read-only support for NTFS, but offers full read/write support for exFAT. exFAT drives can also be accessed on Linux after installing the appropriate exFAT drivers. Note, of course, that much older devices may only support FAT 32 and not exFAT.
  • exFAT is designated by the Secure Digital (SD) Card Association as the standard file system for high-capacity, high-speed SDXC cards

Allocation Unit size and Mac OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.