Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do new M1 Macs use APFS? Creating a new Time Machine Backup drive; should I use APFS?

I'm backing up an iMac Late 2015 (Intel) running Big Sur to a new hard drive I need to format first to then create a Time Machine backup. I plan on upgrading to an M-whatever iMac as soon as they come out using Apple silicon, and use this backup drive with that new machine. Would it be smarter/better/more forward thinking to format the Time Machine backup drive in APFS, or should I use HFS+? (Or another format I'm missing?) Thanks in advance! Note: my current iMac is formatted in APFS, so I'm leaning that way.

iMac 27″, 11.4

Posted on Aug 17, 2021 11:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2021 11:11 PM

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities.

Use APFS.

Jack

Similar questions

4 replies

Do new M1 Macs use APFS? Creating a new Time Machine Backup drive; should I use APFS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.