Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Big Sur macbook cannot communicate with my hp printer

My HP Envy 4527 printer is connected to the home Wi Fi network. All my computers running Catalina can connect to it just fine. However, my MacBook running Big Sur 11.2.1 cannot connect with it. I can't even add it to the list. I get the message "unable to verify the printer on your network...due to an error. 

HP has not been of much help. They seem to think it is just a matter of putting the printer on the network, but they ignore the fact that my Catalina computers are connecting with no problem. Does anybody have any idea how to fix this?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 18, 2021 8:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2021 9:08 AM

Hi,

The HP Envy 4527 All-in-One Printer is mentioned in About AirPrint - Apple Support as a model supporting the driverless AirPrint technology. This means that it should work without additional drivers from the printer manufacturer, providing that the printer and the computer are connected to the same network (Wi-Fi router). Would it be correct to assume that you want to add the Envy 4527 as an AirPrint printer?

Have you tried to reset the printing system?

Reset the Mac printing system to solve a problem - Apple Support

To begin with, if everything is properly configured, you may want to test the following procedure: Power off the router, the printer, the computers, and all other devices (iPhones, et cetera). Wait two to three minutes. Power on the router. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the printer. Wait a minute or two. Power on all computers. Finally, power on all other devices. Any change?

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 18, 2021 9:08 AM in response to TimK

Hi,

The HP Envy 4527 All-in-One Printer is mentioned in About AirPrint - Apple Support as a model supporting the driverless AirPrint technology. This means that it should work without additional drivers from the printer manufacturer, providing that the printer and the computer are connected to the same network (Wi-Fi router). Would it be correct to assume that you want to add the Envy 4527 as an AirPrint printer?

Have you tried to reset the printing system?

Reset the Mac printing system to solve a problem - Apple Support

To begin with, if everything is properly configured, you may want to test the following procedure: Power off the router, the printer, the computers, and all other devices (iPhones, et cetera). Wait two to three minutes. Power on the router. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the printer. Wait a minute or two. Power on all computers. Finally, power on all other devices. Any change?

Aug 18, 2021 9:27 AM in response to TimK

Try this potential quick fix:

1 - go to the System/Printers & Scanners preference pane and remove your printer.

2 - close and reopen System Preferences.

3 - add your printer back with AirPrint as the connectivity.

If that doesn't work follow Jan's more detailed procedure (if you already haven't done so by the time you see this).

Aug 19, 2021 3:17 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

Whoops.

Spoke too soon.

Put the computer to sleep for the night. Woke it up the next morning, and the problem has returned. Tried resetting the printing system again. No luck. Removed the printer from the list, tried to replace it: same problem as before ("unable to verify the printer on your network".). I guess I could go through the routine of turning off the router again, but I can't do that every time it happens, and right now somebody else is using the internet.

(There is no such problem with out two machines on Catalina, by the way.

Aug 19, 2021 5:14 AM in response to TimK

Hello again,

A remote diagnosis is always difficult, especially when three devices (printer, router, and computer) are involved. Is there anything special with the Wi-Fi system/router? Anything with 2.4 GHz /5 GHz or other router settings that could, somehow, affect the communication between these three devices only? I assume that you have tried another restart of just the computer.

Aug 19, 2021 5:38 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

Nothing special as far as I know. It's a Sky router. It was upgraded about a month ago, and I'm pretty sure I used the printer with this machine since that time.

Yes, I've restarted the computer. Makes no difference. I'll go through the routine of shutting down the router in due course.

Thanks for staying with me here.

Aug 19, 2021 6:01 AM in response to TimK

Thank you for the information. The reason for mentioning 2.4 GHz/5 GHz is that there have been reports in some other cases about difficulties with an automatic detection of devices and selection of bands. This could possibly lead to, at least temporarily, disconnected devices. If applicable (I do not know anything about the Sky routers), one could choose a manual 2.4 GHz router setting (and switch off 5 GHz), just for a test. According to the specifications (https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-envy-4520-all-in-one-printer-series/5447920/model/11534751/document/c04704159), the Envy printer in question is 2.4 GHz only. On the other hand, you have not had any issues with the Catalina computers . . .

Aug 19, 2021 7:42 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

I've just gone the router switch off-on route, and the printer is now connected again. I hope it stays connected, but if it doesn't I'll connect up the old router and see if that works (It might not as Sky updated its whole broadband system and the old router might not be compatible. ) I'll let you know one way or the other.

Is there anything I should do or check regarding this 2.4 GHz/5 GHz issue?

Aug 19, 2021 8:45 AM in response to TimK

Good.

When going through the entire power cycling procedure, the power-on order, (router->printer->computer) as described earlier, can be important.

For now, you will just have to wait and see.

Yes, if necessary, you could carry out a comparative test with an old router. You should not really have to connect this router to the Internet. The interesting part is the local network (the wireless LAN), not the WAN. It should be possible to set up a separate local Wi-Fi network on the old router, and run tests. If you post the new and old router models (not serial numbers or codes), I could try to find any available documentation.

My Big Sur macbook cannot communicate with my hp printer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.