Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have storage available in icloud but keep saying no icloud storage and not backing up

I have icloud storage available in Icloud but It keep saying that Icloud Storage is not enough and not allowing me to back up

Posted on Aug 18, 2021 8:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2021 8:41 AM

Most likely, the backup needs a larger space than the available one.

See this support article:--> Upgrade your iCloud storage plan - Apple Support

Regards

Giulio

12 replies

Sep 7, 2021 9:05 AM in response to wajahat572

I have the same problem and Proust's answer is poor. I have 4.6GB available in iCloud. I turned off almost everything to be backed up to reduce space. Last backup was ~800MB. Yet it continues to say insufficient space. I turned off backup of Photos, Videos, E-mails, you name it... just about everything. The failure is something else..... not "SPACE"

Sep 7, 2021 3:48 PM in response to wajahat572

I found another thread that referred to some "temp" garbage files. However the only way to delete them is backup your iPhone to either MAC or PC. Then wipe your iPhone, and restore from backup. That sounded like a lousy idea to me.

Go to GENERAL -> iPhone Storage, then scroll all the way to the bottom, there is SYSTEM and Other. Supposedly OTHER is being backed up which for me is 26.02GB and the only way to delete is supposedly to wipe the phone and restore from backup. NO WAY am I doing that.... for now the search for solutions continues.....

Sep 8, 2021 4:25 AM in response to wajahat572

Actually it only does backups under a specific set of circumstances. Your phone must be locked, connected to power, and you must be using wi-fi. Why I pay for unlimited data and a really expensive cell network I shall never know when apple insists that I use wifi to do backups. I don’t even have wifi at home. ?? This is an il-conceived plan for backups and I will be switching to Android phones soon.

Sep 8, 2021 4:39 AM in response to wajahat572

Their marketing plan is to get everyone paying for back up space. What they don’t tell you is when your phone breaks and gets wet and you mis-enter your Apple ID password they will lock you out of your contacts and apps and you cannot download anymore apps for nearly a month— a calendar month. Then, when you try to create a new password after being locked out by apple for several weeks, with the same password you originally tried to use before being locked out, they have the nerve to state that you cannot use the same password more than once.

Apparently then, I did not forget my original Apple ID password. Everyone please go into your account and select your significant other’s phone number as the number to use to unlock your account because your phone number will be of no use if Apple locks you out of your phone or if your phone is lost or damaged. Does everyone see the problem with the way things are set up now?

Their security and customer service is a nightmare all because some celebrities had photos stollen off their iCloud accounts. We pay the price, literally.

Sep 8, 2021 8:18 AM in response to wajahat572

Try this -- finally solved it... User Friendly Apple, just had to Hunt through menus forever....

Check the size of backup at APPLE ID -> iCloud -> Manage Storage -> Backups -> Backups (phone name) -> "Next Backup Size"

you may find one application hogging all the space (I did, my Drone APP, 23GB)

You can force a manual backup under

Apple ID-> scroll down to "(phone name) -> iCloud Backup (on) -> turn iCloud backup ON and use "Backup Now"

Sep 8, 2021 8:25 AM in response to ChrisOiPhone

This worked, so now I can start slowly adding a few apps I do want backed up. My backup was only 1.5GB, within the free 5GB limit, which really should be at least 10GB given the price of an iPhone

Try this -- finally solved it... User Friendly Apple, just had to Hunt through menus forever....

Check the size of backup at APPLE ID -> iCloud -> Manage Storage -> Backups -> Backups (phone name) -> "Next Backup Size"

you may find one application hogging all the space (I did, my Drone APP, 23GB)

You can force a manual backup under (plug into Charger)

Apple ID-> scroll down to "(phone name) -> iCloud Backup (on) -> turn iCloud backup ON and use "Backup Now"

Sep 8, 2021 8:53 AM in response to ChrisOiPhone

Yes, you can force a manual backup but once again only if you plug your phone in, lock the screen, and have access to wifi. I have no wifi so I guess I am paying for extra storage for nothing. This is a waste of money. This phone is a waste if money. Just try losing it and try to get your data that was supposedly backed up, try to get it back on a new phone. Ha! Good luck!

I’ll see you all next year with android phones. My kids laugh at me because I still use Apple. Apple aint what it used to be. If Mr. Jobs were alive today a lot of you apple personnel would be out of jobs! You better believe it.

I have storage available in icloud but keep saying no icloud storage and not backing up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.