Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Who is using my Apple ID??

I regularly get emails to my mac.com InBox that are obviously meant for somebody in the US. I live in the UK and have used the email address email@mac.com since mac.com was available. The emails that I am getting are addressed to email@icloud.com, a version of the account that I never use, but which should ONLY be available to me and NOT anyone else. So what is going on? I have been in touch with various companies that send me these emails about appointments, bank statements, gig tickets and so on, so they are unaware that I'm not the correct recipient. Can anything be done to correct this issue?

[Email Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Aug 18, 2021 11:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2021 1:06 PM

Note that since the fall of 2012, your @mac.com address is nothing more than an alias to your iCloud email account (iCloud: About your @icloud.com, @me.com, and @mac.com email addresses - Apple Support). The only actual or real Apple email accounts since MobileMe was shut down are iCloud email accounts. All @mac.com and all @me.com address stil in use after the fall of 2012 are merely aliases addresses to your @icloud.com email account inbox.

So mail sent to your @icloud.com address are going to go into your inbox, since you only have one Apple email inbox - your iCloud email inbox. The @mac.com address also puts incoming mail I that same email inbox, since that is the only one you have with Apple.

So if someone is spoofing your @icloud.com address, there is not much you can do to stop them doing so. You can login with a web browser to your iCloud account and use the tools in the web mail app to make some rules to dump those emails (based on subject, to or change fields, content) to junk or trash though.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 18, 2021 1:06 PM in response to Kimfromthemews

Note that since the fall of 2012, your @mac.com address is nothing more than an alias to your iCloud email account (iCloud: About your @icloud.com, @me.com, and @mac.com email addresses - Apple Support). The only actual or real Apple email accounts since MobileMe was shut down are iCloud email accounts. All @mac.com and all @me.com address stil in use after the fall of 2012 are merely aliases addresses to your @icloud.com email account inbox.

So mail sent to your @icloud.com address are going to go into your inbox, since you only have one Apple email inbox - your iCloud email inbox. The @mac.com address also puts incoming mail I that same email inbox, since that is the only one you have with Apple.

So if someone is spoofing your @icloud.com address, there is not much you can do to stop them doing so. You can login with a web browser to your iCloud account and use the tools in the web mail app to make some rules to dump those emails (based on subject, to or change fields, content) to junk or trash though.

Who is using my Apple ID??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.