Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need help reinstalling macOS

Posted on Aug 18, 2021 11:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2021 1:40 PM

Janet:

Should this question appear to relate to Support topic link, in upper left above..

..The information contained there, may be useful to further gain answers to Q:

And blue-linked sub-topics also offer additional ideas; if not, use duckduckgo..

• If your Mac starts up to a question mark - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204323

1. If the question mark appears only momentarily before your Mac starts up normally:Reset NVRAM.
  2. Make sure that your preferred startup disk is selected in Startup Disk preferences.

If the question mark persists, follow these steps:

1. Press and hold the power button on your Mac for up to 10 seconds, until your Mac turns off.
  2. Turn on your Mac and immediately press and hold Command (⌘) and R to start up from macOS Recovery.
  3. While in macOS Recovery, use Disk Utility to repair your startup disk.
  4. If Disk Utility found no errors or repaired all errors, reinstall macOS.
  5. If you still need help, please contact Apple Support.

If you tried these steps ~ and could not get past any specific one(s) please explain.

[I've been fair at second-guessing, & 'reading clouds' for ideas. And older Mac OS.]

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 18, 2021 1:40 PM in response to Janetgcalvo

Janet:

Should this question appear to relate to Support topic link, in upper left above..

..The information contained there, may be useful to further gain answers to Q:

And blue-linked sub-topics also offer additional ideas; if not, use duckduckgo..

• If your Mac starts up to a question mark - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204323

1. If the question mark appears only momentarily before your Mac starts up normally:Reset NVRAM.
  2. Make sure that your preferred startup disk is selected in Startup Disk preferences.

If the question mark persists, follow these steps:

1. Press and hold the power button on your Mac for up to 10 seconds, until your Mac turns off.
  2. Turn on your Mac and immediately press and hold Command (⌘) and R to start up from macOS Recovery.
  3. While in macOS Recovery, use Disk Utility to repair your startup disk.
  4. If Disk Utility found no errors or repaired all errors, reinstall macOS.
  5. If you still need help, please contact Apple Support.

If you tried these steps ~ and could not get past any specific one(s) please explain.

[I've been fair at second-guessing, & 'reading clouds' for ideas. And older Mac OS.]

Aug 18, 2021 12:15 PM in response to Janetgcalvo

Sorry, but that is just not enough information in order for us to be able to assist you with a potential solution.

For example:

• Which exact model is your MacBook Pro?
  • What version of macOS is it running?
  • Why are you re-installing macOS?
  • What process are you using to try to re-install it?
  • Did you get any error messages during any part of this process?

The more details you can provide us, the easier it will be for us to assist you.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.