Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview - reduce space between lines of text

Is there a way to reduce the space between lines of text in Preview?

It seems like suddenly there is more space between the lines. And it is definitely more than needed. Plus, it makes it difficult to do what I am trying to do.

Thank you in advance for any help.

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Aug 18, 2021 2:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2021 3:13 PM

Preview is not a text editing program, and because it is not, the ability to alter text in this way is limited or non-existent.

You can use it to add text in boxes to picture or .pdf files, but the ability to edit these is mostly in font, font size and color.

Text boxes can be arranged to be close together or farther apart, so that may be one way to accomplish a similar effect.

If you can tell us what you are trying to accomplish, maybe someone can suggest how best to get it done.

Preview User Guide for Mac - Apple Support:

https://support.apple.com/guide/preview/welcome/mac

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 18, 2021 3:13 PM in response to scutarius

Preview is not a text editing program, and because it is not, the ability to alter text in this way is limited or non-existent.

You can use it to add text in boxes to picture or .pdf files, but the ability to edit these is mostly in font, font size and color.

Text boxes can be arranged to be close together or farther apart, so that may be one way to accomplish a similar effect.

If you can tell us what you are trying to accomplish, maybe someone can suggest how best to get it done.

Preview User Guide for Mac - Apple Support:

https://support.apple.com/guide/preview/welcome/mac

Aug 19, 2021 9:33 AM in response to scutarius

scutarius Said:

"Preview - reduce space between lines of text: Is there a way to reduce the space between lines of text in Preview?

-------

Getting Around This:

A. Scan Screenshots of Texts:

Start with taking some screenshots and then save them one screenshot after the other on to a document. Then, print it, scanning it in with software called OmniPage.

Go Here: Take a screenshot on your Mac - Apple Support

or...

B. Try using software called OmniPage.

OmniPage is scan-to-PDF software, and would be worth it, if these are not hundreds of pages. All you would need to do is print out this document of screenshots, and then scan it with OnmiPage --- all would be saved as a PDF document or other options, and could fully editable as a MS Word Document.  Here is the Developer's Site: Kofax OmniPage Standard and Ultimate | Kofax

Aug 18, 2021 3:51 PM in response to scutarius

scutarius Said:

"Preview - reduce space between lines of text: Is there a way to reduce the space between lines of text in Preview? It seems like suddenly there is more space between the lines. And it is definitely more than needed. Plus, it makes it difficult to do what I am trying to do. Thank you in advance for any help"

-------

Interesting:

• Duplicate: See what happens when you create a duplicate (Right Click: on the icon > Select: Duplicate). Any difference?

• Other Apps: Does this appear the case, it you open this with Microsoft Paint (it is an editing app, on a completely different platform. So, if you have a PC, eMail it to your self, and open it in (A) Paint and/or (B)Photo and Fax Viewer

Aug 19, 2021 6:55 AM in response to D.I. Johnson

D.I. Johnson - Thank you. I can see that I should have been more clear. I was referring to text that I added. I was reviewing and commenting on a draft of a contract. So, adding text with one of the editing tools. We can change the color and font and size, and even alignment. But I saw nothing to change the space between the lines.

I tried to edit my question, but see no option for that.

Aug 19, 2021 7:19 AM in response to scutarius

I understood that maybe you were using text boxes to add your comments.

Have you tried using Tools > Annotate > Note from the Preview menu bar to add your comments to the pdf file? You can also add notes by clicking the Note button in the Markup toolbar.

Alternatively, you can click Tools > Annotate > Speech Bubble to add that style of comment to your documents.

To be clear, there is no editing of the text spacing with these options either. They are as they are.

Preview - reduce space between lines of text

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.