Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers disable filter?

I can turn filters on and off, but I can't turn one of multiple filters off. Is there a way to do this? I want to leave the BREAD filter on and turn off the Store filter. I want to keep the Store filter because later on I need to turn it back on.

Posted on Aug 18, 2021 7:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2021 5:32 AM

I've found this video tutorial useful for doing interesting things with filters, including what you describe:

https://macmost.com/mac-numbers-filter-tricks-to-make-your-spreadsheets-easy-to-use.html

SG

3 replies

Aug 18, 2021 7:50 PM in response to Bruce Kieffer

It would be a nice feature but Numbers does not currently have it. You can make a feature request using the menu item Numbers/Provide Numbers Feedback.

An alternate way to turn filters on and off is to do the logic for the filter in a column of the table. The column would contain a logic formula with the result of either true (show the row) or false (don't show the row). A filter for true/false would be created for that column. A separate table is used to control the filters you want to have on or off. An example is below.

Table 2 has no formulas, only the text you see and two checkboxes.

Formula in Table 1 E2 =AND(IF(Table 2::B$2,B2≠0,TRUE), IF(Table 2::B$3,C2,TRUE))

Fill down to complete the column

Create the filter for column E as shown in the screenshot then turn it on.

Hide column E

This was a simple example that only needed the one column for the logic. You can do some pretty complex logic using multiple columns then put it all together with a little more logic in a final column. I used to do this with a spreadsheet that had numerous projects in various stages of completion being performed by several different engineering groups and I could filter on specific project(s), group(s), and a few other things using several pop up menus and a few checkboxes.

Numbers disable filter?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.