Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Creating a Boot Camp drive

Hi,

I'm using a mid-2011 27" iMac with Sierra 10.12.6 in a Fusion Drive (I added an SSD to the spare slot on the logic board). It has the latest firmware 87.0.0.0.0.

I want to create a Windows Boot Camp partition but because I have Fusion Drive, the Boot Camp Assistant won't work properly; I'll have to do it manually it seems.

I ran the Terminal command 'diskutil list' and this is the result:

I boot from the Logical Volume named 'Macintosh' as confirmed here:

On the HDD /dev/disk1 we can see that there is a partition named 'Sierra' along with an associated Recovery HD, identifiers disk1s4 and disk1s5 respectively. These are never used and AFAIK I could remove them and create the Boot Camp partition in that space, using Terminal commands.

Please could you expertly advise if this will work and it would be super-helpful if you could please inform the correct command procedure for this operation, ie. from eliminating the existing 2 partitions up to creating the bootable NTFS partition, into which I'll then install Windows 7 from a USB stick.

Thank you so much for your attention.

Andy

Posted on Aug 19, 2021 8:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2021 2:44 PM

You need to remove Sierra and its corresponding Recovery HD, put the disk space back into the CS LV and then use BC Assistant. The current layout is not supported by BC Assistant.

Similar questions

3 replies

Creating a Boot Camp drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.