Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

photos keeps crashing what should I do?

I moved my photos library to a high speed external hard drive because I ran out of room on my Mac hard drive. Ever since then photos will randomly crash when I import/Edit pics. How can I fix this?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Aug 19, 2021 1:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2021 2:19 PM

Hi

You probably need to re-format the esternal drive. You'll need to move your library somewhere else while you do it. Also take a backup just to be sure.

It must be formatted APFS or MacOS extended (journaled) (preferred for spinning drives) and not case sensitive.

It Must not be (or have been) used for time machine. (A time machine drive can be used if re-formatted)

It must be able to have the 'ignore ownership" checkbox ticked.

It should not be on a memory stick, SD or similar.

It must also not be a network drive (a direct connection is required - eg USB or Thunderbolt). File sharing services such as iCloud Drive, Drop box, Onedrive etc are not compatible with Photos libraries.

See

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201517

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2021 2:19 PM in response to mattytotheP

Hi

You probably need to re-format the esternal drive. You'll need to move your library somewhere else while you do it. Also take a backup just to be sure.

It must be formatted APFS or MacOS extended (journaled) (preferred for spinning drives) and not case sensitive.

It Must not be (or have been) used for time machine. (A time machine drive can be used if re-formatted)

It must be able to have the 'ignore ownership" checkbox ticked.

It should not be on a memory stick, SD or similar.

It must also not be a network drive (a direct connection is required - eg USB or Thunderbolt). File sharing services such as iCloud Drive, Drop box, Onedrive etc are not compatible with Photos libraries.

See

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201517

photos keeps crashing what should I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.