Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Default to Apple Watch location activated under Family Setup within "Find My" app

My son's iPad is the default device that is tracked in the "People" section of the "Find My" app. I recently got my son an Apple Watch, and set it up using Family Setup. I am unable to get Find My to track his watch by default in "People". I can find both his iPad and watch in "Devices", but it's more useful that his location in "People" is represented by his Apple Watch, which he wears, instead of his iPad, which stays home all day.

I've tried changing settings in his iPad, on the phone that was used to setup the Apple Watch under Family Setup. and on the watch itself. There is no option that I can find to switch the default tracking from the iPad to his watch.

Does anybody have a solution?

Apple Watch

Posted on Aug 19, 2021 2:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2021 3:02 PM

Did you try the steps in the 'Change your sharing device' section of:

Find friends and share your location with Find My - Apple Support

You can share your location in the Find People app on watchOS 6 or later with Apple Watch models that have GPS and cellular and are paired with your iPhone. I'm not sure if that applies to a watch with Family Setup. For a definitive answer use the 'Get Support' link at the top-right corner of this page.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2021 3:02 PM in response to rsiow

Did you try the steps in the 'Change your sharing device' section of:

Find friends and share your location with Find My - Apple Support

You can share your location in the Find People app on watchOS 6 or later with Apple Watch models that have GPS and cellular and are paired with your iPhone. I'm not sure if that applies to a watch with Family Setup. For a definitive answer use the 'Get Support' link at the top-right corner of this page.

Default to Apple Watch location activated under Family Setup within "Find My" app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.