Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Number changes

Numbers document: I enter a number into a cell and when I click on another cell, the number I entered changes. What do I need to do fix this? It happens in any cell.

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on Aug 19, 2021 5:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2021 9:03 PM

While the following is not specifically related to Apple’s Numbers program, the behavior is the same as that in Microsoft Excel. Here’s a link to a discussion post on this behavior in Excel. I think you’ll find it helpful in explaining why this perceived “error” occurs and how you can work around it. I’ve tried the suggested methods in Numbers and each of them appear to be valid. I hope this helps!

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/troubleshoot/excel/last-digits-changed-to-zeros

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2021 9:03 PM in response to jcrochford

While the following is not specifically related to Apple’s Numbers program, the behavior is the same as that in Microsoft Excel. Here’s a link to a discussion post on this behavior in Excel. I think you’ll find it helpful in explaining why this perceived “error” occurs and how you can work around it. I’ve tried the suggested methods in Numbers and each of them appear to be valid. I hope this helps!

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/troubleshoot/excel/last-digits-changed-to-zeros

Aug 19, 2021 8:37 PM in response to Lkiw1909

I am able to replicate this issue and it appears that, if you enter a 16-digit number, Numbers will round the last two digits up. You can prevent this by making sure the data type is set to “Automatic” or to “Text.” I seem to recall seeing documentation about this somewhere and, if I find it, I will post it as a follow-up to this thread. In the meantime, I hope this helps you. Good luck!

Number changes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.