Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Asus ProArt PA279CV and Mac mini M1

I'm struggling to make the Asus Proart PA279CV display work with my Mac mini M1. It usually works, but sometimes the display does not wake when I start using the machine. It says nothing is connected to the USB-C port, and I must turn the monitor on and off to get an image. HDMI works for < 30 FPS, but I prefer USB-C due to the hub function of the display.

I have managed to update to firmware V019. However, I'm instructed at the support page to also do a hub update ("PA279CV hub PD FW update tool & SOP"). There are no instructions for how to do this, except a screen shot of successful update. When I try running it, it suggests that the HUB is used for some other process and I cannot update. No other connection is to the monitor other than a USB-C cable. Anyone knows what to do?

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Aug 19, 2021 11:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2021 2:13 AM

The flickering could be a cable issue but if it’s an Asus-provided cable, it’s for them to replace. In the meanwhile, you could try swapping for a short (1m or less) HDMI premium cable https://www.hdmi.org/spec/premiumcable.

If you have access to a Windows PC, you could try the firmware upgrade that way.

Anyway, all in Asus’s court. I’d ask for a full refund if they can’t resolve in reasonable time.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 20, 2021 2:13 AM in response to oihaho

The flickering could be a cable issue but if it’s an Asus-provided cable, it’s for them to replace. In the meanwhile, you could try swapping for a short (1m or less) HDMI premium cable https://www.hdmi.org/spec/premiumcable.

If you have access to a Windows PC, you could try the firmware upgrade that way.

Anyway, all in Asus’s court. I’d ask for a full refund if they can’t resolve in reasonable time.

Aug 20, 2021 1:55 AM in response to oihaho

Monitors providing power over USB C have proven problematic to the mini because they likely aren’t able to tell what’s connected to them, laptop or desktop. In the past these (unpredictable) problems have surfaced over time and in some cases, even put the mini TB port out of action (later prevented by a MacOS fix).

I would therefore avoid connecting the Asus USB C port to the mini’s thunderbolt ports, instead connect it to the USB-A port. Connect the mini’s HDMI port to the Asus HDMI port directly. According to the manual, 4K 60 Hz is supported.

Additionally, you can disable Sleep by checking “Prevent…” under Energy Preferences. Otherwise the gains are negligible, the pains are not. Good luck!

Aug 20, 2021 2:09 AM in response to hcsitas

Thx! I know 4K 60hz is supposedly supported, but I do get a flickering image via HDMI 60hz. When connecting via USB A I cannot use the monitor's hub. I have filed a request to ASUS for assistance with installing their USB hub firmware update which supposedly fixes things re. mac and hub; the updater currently just states that the hub is busy with some unnamed process.

Asus ProArt PA279CV and Mac mini M1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.