Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud: Advanced -> Restore Contacts: "No archives available."

All my Contacts are stored in iCloud. When I log to icloud.com, the [Advanced] -> [Restore Contacts] option only shows an error: "no archives available".

In other words, in a case of error, I would not be able to recover my contacts.

The Apple support advised me on the phone to backup my .vcf files manually.

Really? Is this a joke? No option to recover iCloud contacts from the cloud, in case of an error?!

iPhone XS

Posted on Aug 20, 2021 3:54 AM

7 replies

Aug 20, 2021 5:42 AM in response to Eprom1

You had created contacts from iPhone , however you signed in with apple id and password of your iPhone from web browser and in the advanced section , the contacts can't be restored as they were never created from Mac / browser or deleted from the Mac .

But these contacts were created from iPhone and still visible in iCloud .

This article works for Mac / browser If you accidentally deleted your calendars, bookmarks, or contacts from iCloud - Apple Support and not using an iPhone .

Aug 20, 2021 6:11 AM in response to tygb

Dear tygb, my contacts are in iCloud since years already, and I have done many deletions / creations during that time.

Just for the sake of it, I created a new contact item and deleted it today. And indeed this event caused a single new contacts archive to show up in the archive history.

The bottom line is, that archives are being deleted over time in iCloud when there are no active changes done to the address book for a certain time. The question is: how long will the archives be kept in iCloud? 90 days? No chance to go back after the timeout?

iCloud: Advanced -> Restore Contacts: "No archives available."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.