Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have downloaded onto a flash drive. It shows in disk utility..... what do i need to do now to reinstall OS El Capitan to factory settings?

How do i install from my flash drive?

Posted on Aug 20, 2021 12:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2021 9:45 AM

How to get old versions of macOS Read the full details.

How to create a bootable installer for macOS and note: The commands to create the USB Installer must be executed from an Apple Compatible computer to Create the Bootable Installer.

And if you download this file " I have downloaded the El Capitan settings onto a flash drive via my laptop using windows." this is NOT A FULL INSTALLER of El Capitan

The full installer of El Capitan can Only Be Downloaded from an Apple Computer that Qualifies to Run El Capitan

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 21, 2021 9:45 AM in response to MrE2021

How to get old versions of macOS Read the full details.

How to create a bootable installer for macOS and note: The commands to create the USB Installer must be executed from an Apple Compatible computer to Create the Bootable Installer.

And if you download this file " I have downloaded the El Capitan settings onto a flash drive via my laptop using windows." this is NOT A FULL INSTALLER of El Capitan

The full installer of El Capitan can Only Be Downloaded from an Apple Computer that Qualifies to Run El Capitan

Aug 21, 2021 8:54 PM in response to MrE2021

You really need to create a bootable USB flash drive using another mac,

trying to do it on Windows machine is not recommended, it don't work.

If you can borrow a mac that you know is capable of running El Capitan you can do this.

Click on the link below,

How to get old versions of macOS – Apple Support

Go to Download OS and click on OS X El Capitan 10.11

this downloads InstallMacOSX.dmg to your Downloads folder.

The next section can only be done on a mac that is capable of running El Capitan.

This includes macs that have the potential to run El Capitan but have been upgraded to a newer OS.

A mac that came preinstalled with an OS later than El Capitan will refuse to do the next bit.

When downloaded open to InstallMacOSX.pkg, double-click on

that and an installation window will open, this does not install El Capitan

but converts the InstallMacOSX.pkg to the Install OS X El Capitan.app which 

you will find in your Applications folder, it should be 6.2GBs in size.

(If the installation window asks which disk you want to install to, you must pick 

the disk that you are booted to at the time. Not any internal or external disk that 

you want to eventually install El Capitan on, that is for later.)

To start the installation of El Capitan double click on the Install OS X El Capitan.app.

Create a bootable USB installer disk using the Install OS X El Capitan.app in the Applications 

folder and the createinstallmedia command in the Terminal app. 

Read the instructions here,

How to create a bootable installer for macOS – Apple Support

Aug 21, 2021 6:30 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Hi, thanks for trying to help.

I have downloaded the El Capitan settings onto a flash drive via my laptop using windows. I have checked the file folders and the files are there.

When I reload my Imac in recovery mode (with the USB inserted) the IMac only shows recovery drive and not the the flash drive. The flash drive is not showing.

Therefore I can not open the system from the USB to reinstall.

Interestingly when I do log into OSX Utility and check disk utility the USB drive does show as an external drive so the IMac does recognise it that way.

Any ideas how I can restore my system using this USB I have created? How do I get the USB to show up in recovery mode?

Aug 21, 2021 6:33 AM in response to PRP_53

Hi, those instructions don't help. I have tried them several times and even the Apple chat support tried to help and couldn't resolve it. When i get to the step to log in to my Apple ID it says this item is unavailable ( which seems to be a common error). Possibly because my Apple ID is not the original ID that purchased the IMAC. Interestingly my Apple ID works on any other log in.

This is why I am trying to factory reset from a flash drive/USB but even that is not working....

Aug 21, 2021 6:58 AM in response to MrE2021

User wrote " I have downloaded the El Capitan settings onto a flash drive via my laptop using windows. I have checked the file folders and the files are there." that is NT A FULL INSTALLER if as you stated from a Windows Computer.The Full Installer of El Capitan can ONLY be downloaded from Apple Store using an Apple Computer.

What you may have downloaded is an update for El Capitan. That is Not the Full Version of El Capitan.

I have downloaded onto a flash drive. It shows in disk utility..... what do i need to do now to reinstall OS El Capitan to factory settings?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.