Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where did all my files and apps go after uploading Big Sur?!!

Posted on Aug 20, 2021 6:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2021 8:03 PM

I'm not sure where apps would go. From where did they go?

For your files, are they in iCloud Drive. Many people just click through the startup assistant and end up enabling Desktop & Documents in iCloud Drive.

Another possibility is if you stored your files at the root level of the hard drive, they may be in the Relocated Items folder in /Users/Shared.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 20, 2021 8:03 PM in response to BlauBeeMr

I'm not sure where apps would go. From where did they go?

For your files, are they in iCloud Drive. Many people just click through the startup assistant and end up enabling Desktop & Documents in iCloud Drive.

Another possibility is if you stored your files at the root level of the hard drive, they may be in the Relocated Items folder in /Users/Shared.

Sep 18, 2021 2:47 AM in response to BlauBeeMr

Applications did not go anywhere. They are in /Applications, as usual.

Some of your files may have been moved to iCloud, if you chose to (unintentionally, it seems).

There is an option to put the Documents and Desktop folders in iCloud.

Open a Finder window, click iCloud Drive in the sidebar, and see if there are folders there called "Documents" and "Desktop".

Other stuff, like Pictures, Music, etc., will be exactly where it was before.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.