Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External SSD drive ignored in timemachine options

New iMac 27" running Big Sur.

Set up. 2TB internal SSD, 4TB Oyen Digital U32 Shadow external SSD (working fine for data and about 60% full), 2 TB (empty, for now) additional HDD. Backing up to 6TB Seagate HDD APFS formatted (2 volumes 4 and 2 TB).

The first timemachine backup has just completed correctly as far as I can see for the internal drive. However, it ignored the external SSD drive. I had excluded in options the smaller HDD.

In SySPref > Timemachine > Options the SSD drive is on the list but as a faded/dull list item compared to the other drives. I can exclude or include the smaller hard drive that appears bright when on the list. In the screenshot below I had included it again to show the only dull listings are the backup drive and the U32. I cannot change anything for the U32 Shadow.

Ideas please.

iMac 27″, macOS 11.3

Posted on Aug 21, 2021 7:18 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Aug 22, 2021 2:50 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks - that is probably the problem as it is ExFAT format as I wanted to be able to move stuff to an old PC via the SSD drive.

I can understand it not backing up 'to' something not Mac formatted but why not 'from' when the disk is working absolutely fine for everything else.

And now I have the joy of copying 2.5TB off the drive (not using Timememchine obv) or just backing up without using Timemachine.

Thanks for the help.

External SSD drive ignored in timemachine options

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.