Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lacie 6big 24TB lacking disk speeds at new M1 iMac

Hello,

yesterday I set up my new Lacie 6big 24TB hdd with my new M1 iMac 24”.

Lacie 6big came with Raid 5 and I tested the disk speed and result was 50mb/s write and 600mb/s read. I was shocked. I tried what Lacie suggeste on their website and nothing changed. Every single step was correct. Then I decided to go with Raid 0 I had no other chance. It gave me 600mb/s write and over 1000mb/s read speeds. Not bad for my job but still should be around 1400mb/s write speeds. I use only thunderbolt 3 only with suggested cables.

btw I’m a DP (director of photography) and edit on huge files. So need high speed levels on RAW footage.

I searched on the web and figures out Apple has to do some software updates on firmware also. My other drives also works slower on thunderbolt 3…

what do you suggest on that issue? Please help.

iMac 24″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Aug 22, 2021 4:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2021 8:37 AM

LaCie states: "Up to 1400 MB/s Reads and Writes"

That's the absolute best you can get under the best of conditions. In their case, likely a laboratory type environment. In the real world, published speeds are often quite elusive and hard to duplicate.

Similar questions

3 replies

Aug 23, 2021 1:18 AM in response to fuats

This is not the proper venue to get Apple's attention. It's also possible, and quite likely, your setup does not exactly duplicate LaCie's. You can continue to voice your frustration here if you wish, but the better option is to talk to LaCie and Apple and take their advice.

That reasoning also applies to the more technically knowledgeable here; listen to them if they choose to speak. Your situation is you have it working and most likely you just need to tweak your setup somehow. The truth is, if you were to reach 1,400 as you want, the actual real world marginal gains in time to read and write will not feel huge.

Ultimately how you chase this rabbit is your call ... good luck.

Lacie 6big 24TB lacking disk speeds at new M1 iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.