Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot import to photos app

Unable to import photos from finder folder to photos app. The error message below pops up.

Preview opens the files without a problem. I have 20k plus photos to import.

Is it possible to resolve this?

Thanks in advance.

iMac 27″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Aug 22, 2021 7:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2021 10:11 AM

As a test launch Photos with the Option key held down and create a new, test library.  Try to import those photos see if the same problem persists. Does it? This tells us if the problem is limited to your current library or is more wide spread.

If the new library will import close it and try the original library again.

If the new library won't import log into another basic admin user account, Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac and repeat the test library to see if the problem persists. This tells us if the problem is limited to your user account or is system wide.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 22, 2021 10:11 AM in response to whitson1981

As a test launch Photos with the Option key held down and create a new, test library.  Try to import those photos see if the same problem persists. Does it? This tells us if the problem is limited to your current library or is more wide spread.

If the new library will import close it and try the original library again.

If the new library won't import log into another basic admin user account, Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac and repeat the test library to see if the problem persists. This tells us if the problem is limited to your user account or is system wide.

Aug 24, 2021 9:27 AM in response to whitson1981

Do you still have the source photos outside of the library?

There is a way you might be able to do what you want more easily. k

1 - go into the Import view and select all of the photos you just imported.

2 - export them as originals to a folder on the Desktop. Name the folder what you'd like to have an album named.

3 - delete those photos from the library.

4 - drag the folder of photos onto the Photos icon in the dock.

5 - in the Import window check the "Keep Folder Organization" checkbox.

6 - import all of the photos.

7 - look for a new folder in the sidebar with an album inside. That album will have the same name as the folder on the Desktop you imported. You can move it to anywhere you'd like in the sidebar.

Another problem, I have many old folders of photos, in which the photos have vanished. The only thing in the folder is DS_Store.

These are folders on your hard drive, not in the library, right? You shouldn't be seeing the DS_Store file as they are invisible. Why those folders are empty I have no idea. Are they the folders of image file you imported into the library?

Aug 24, 2021 12:35 AM in response to Old Toad

This has worked thank you! After setting up the test library, then going back to the main library they imported without a problem.

However, the next issue is I would like to add all those photos placed into the library from the imported folder. I can do this one at a time, but when I highlight any more than that the "show in all photos" option is greyed out. Clearly, doing this to thousands of photos inst an option. Any ideas?

Another problem, I have many old folders of photos, in which the photos have vanished. The only thing in the folder is DS_Store.

Thanks again

Cannot import to photos app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.