Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) Compatibility with WiFi 6 Technology

I have MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019). It is running the macOS Big Sur Version 11.5.1.

I need to know whether the MacBook WiFi is compatible with WiFi 6 technology. I am buying a TP-Link AX11000 Gaming Router and want to know if this compatible with my MacBook.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Aug 23, 2021 11:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2021 1:03 PM

That computer features 802.11ac Wi-Fi (Wi-Fi-5) which is one version back from 802.11ax (Wi-Fi-6).

It is compatible, and will work fine with all Wi-Fi-6 Routers and other devices. The only shortcoming is that it can not attain the very highest speeds you could achieve at extremely close distances if it were completely Wi-Fi-6 capable.

I was pleasantly surprised when I installed some Wi-Fi 6 Routers, even though I do not have any Wi-Fi-6 devices. They offer MANY advantages over an older Wi-Fi-5 Routers. You will likely see faster speeds and more devices supported at once.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2021 1:03 PM in response to Trident3571

That computer features 802.11ac Wi-Fi (Wi-Fi-5) which is one version back from 802.11ax (Wi-Fi-6).

It is compatible, and will work fine with all Wi-Fi-6 Routers and other devices. The only shortcoming is that it can not attain the very highest speeds you could achieve at extremely close distances if it were completely Wi-Fi-6 capable.

I was pleasantly surprised when I installed some Wi-Fi 6 Routers, even though I do not have any Wi-Fi-6 devices. They offer MANY advantages over an older Wi-Fi-5 Routers. You will likely see faster speeds and more devices supported at once.

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) Compatibility with WiFi 6 Technology

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.