Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I click on system preferences, m it doesn't give me the software update option.

When I click on system preferences, it doesn't give me the software update option

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Aug 23, 2021 12:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2021 1:14 PM

A Mac running macOS Sierra 10.12 can upgrade to at least macOS High Sierra 10.13. Maybe later.

For how to get newer versions, see: How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

Use only Safari for the download link.

Upgrading to macOS Catalina 10.15 and macOS Big Sur 11 means you will need all 64-bit apps, and no 32-bit apps. This means upgrading apps, or potentially finding replacements or alternatives to existing apps when no 64-bit upgrade is available for the app. To find your 32-bit apps, use the Go64 tool. This can involve printer and scanner drivers, from the vendors for the devices you might be using. If you’re using it, Microsoft Office must be Office 2016 or later, or Office 365 subscription, and not Office 2011 or earlier.

macOS Mojave 10.14 will run both 32- and 64-bit apps.

Have a complete and current backup prior to the upgrade.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2021 1:14 PM in response to bethlang

A Mac running macOS Sierra 10.12 can upgrade to at least macOS High Sierra 10.13. Maybe later.

For how to get newer versions, see: How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

Use only Safari for the download link.

Upgrading to macOS Catalina 10.15 and macOS Big Sur 11 means you will need all 64-bit apps, and no 32-bit apps. This means upgrading apps, or potentially finding replacements or alternatives to existing apps when no 64-bit upgrade is available for the app. To find your 32-bit apps, use the Go64 tool. This can involve printer and scanner drivers, from the vendors for the devices you might be using. If you’re using it, Microsoft Office must be Office 2016 or later, or Office 365 subscription, and not Office 2011 or earlier.

macOS Mojave 10.14 will run both 32- and 64-bit apps.

Have a complete and current backup prior to the upgrade.

When I click on system preferences, m it doesn't give me the software update option.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.