Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to use an ultrawide monitor with my M1 Macbook Pro 13" 2020, has anyone else done this yet?

So for reference, I work in a construction parallel industry, and I work with a ton of PDF layout drawings. drawings. I've currently got an older 27" Mac display along with my 13" Macbook pro on the side. It works, but I know that with a little more screen real estate my productivity can increase exponentially. Other tasks that would be completed with this are some coding, video editing, and of course youtube.

Has anyone else run an ultrawide 48" monitor with the 2020 MacBook pros? (Specs below). The plan is to keep my laptop on the monitor stand closed, and just use the ultrawide.

MacBook Pro 2020 with Apple M1 GPU

8 core (4performance and 4 efficiency)

16GB memory

The monitor I'm thinking of is this one: https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/lg-49wl95c-w

I just don't want to get it and find out I could have avoided a problem that someone else has experienced.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Aug 23, 2021 1:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2021 2:34 PM

WIDTH is not a limitation, screen resolution can be.

That screen has a native resolution of : 5,120 by 1,440 pixels

The Apple silicon M1 MacBook Pro can support a display up to:

2nd Display Support: Dual/Mirroring* 2nd Max. Resolution:6016x3384 (6K)*

Details:*This model supports full native resolution on the interior display in addition to a single display up to 6016x3384 (6K) at 60 Hz.

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-m1-8-core-13-2020-specs.html

executive summary: don't worry, be happy.

BUT: Don't try to use HDMI to get that sort of resolution -- DisplayPort family or USB-C cable required.

Also -- you could hook up a much taller display at that width. and you are paying for Hi Dynamic Range (billions of colors) that is not likely to be useful for drawings.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2021 2:34 PM in response to Intra99

WIDTH is not a limitation, screen resolution can be.

That screen has a native resolution of : 5,120 by 1,440 pixels

The Apple silicon M1 MacBook Pro can support a display up to:

2nd Display Support: Dual/Mirroring* 2nd Max. Resolution:6016x3384 (6K)*

Details:*This model supports full native resolution on the interior display in addition to a single display up to 6016x3384 (6K) at 60 Hz.

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-m1-8-core-13-2020-specs.html

executive summary: don't worry, be happy.

BUT: Don't try to use HDMI to get that sort of resolution -- DisplayPort family or USB-C cable required.

Also -- you could hook up a much taller display at that width. and you are paying for Hi Dynamic Range (billions of colors) that is not likely to be useful for drawings.

I want to use an ultrawide monitor with my M1 Macbook Pro 13" 2020, has anyone else done this yet?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.