Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multi-monitor use with Mac mini (M1, 2020) on macOS Big Sur 11.2.3.

I have a newly purchased Mac mini (M1, 2020) with a macOS Big Sur 11.2.3. I was assured at Best Buy that the Mac mini was compatible with three monitors. They had me purchase a USB-C to 4-Port HDMI multi-monitor adapter from j5create. Despite my best efforts, I have not been able to get it to work. J5create now informs me that their adapter will not work on Big Sur 11.2.3. So, I purchased Apple's USB-C to VGA multipart adapter instead for the two thunderbolt / USB 4 ports in the back of the Mac mini. Same problem. They don't display at all. Both side monitors remains black with only the central monitor visible because it's connected by HDMI to the HDMI port. I hope there is a fix to this. Please advise. Thank you.

Posted on Aug 24, 2021 1:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2021 8:09 AM

+1 You were given bad info by that Apple Retailer.

Please review the M1 spec’s at > https://www.apple.com/mac-mini/specs/

Plus connecting displays at > https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-mini/connect-a-display-apd8e4fbbb97/mac

Similar questions

4 replies

Aug 24, 2021 8:58 AM in response to Paul_Scalise

I have a 16 GB M1 Mac mini driving three monitors in a flight simulator as follows: 

X-Plane 11.55.2 on a 16 GB M1 Mac Mini connected

1. To a Dell model 2007 FPS monitor (1600 x 1200 @ 60 Hz via VGA on monitor to VGA/DVI-I adapter to Startech.com USB 3.0 Dual Head Graphics Adapter to USB-C on Mac Mini), and
  2. To a Westinghouse TV model LDD2240 (1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz via HDMI to HDMI), and
  3. To a Flatron W2252TQ (VGA ơn monitor to Belkin VGA/Thunderbolt adapter to Thunderbolt on Mac Mini)

DisplayLink driver from Startech.com was loaded and activated. OS is Big Sur 11.4.  Logitech Saitek Yoke, Power Quadrant, Rudder Pedals, and Radio Stack.  Flight Velocity Pro Trim Wheel.  Mini iPad with ForeFlight is mounted on the yoke and provides GPS position on a map (VFR, IFR, or Satellite).  Another mini iPad with Air Manager V.3.7 from Sim Innovations shows the instrument panel, and allows one to have only external views on the three monitors. 

An article with full description of this flight simulator can be found in on pages 50-53 of the August/September issue of ‘Midwest Flyer’.  The title of the article is “Fighting Lock-down with a Flight Simulator’.  If search via that title, you can find a text only version. The full .pdf of that issue shows photos of the three monitor system. 

Multi-monitor use with Mac mini (M1, 2020) on macOS Big Sur 11.2.3.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.