Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Diskspace is full, Other volumes

Since I reinstalled my macbook I have no more space on the hard drive. When I look at Disk help program I see that there is 216 GB that is called other volumes. What is this and how can i get more free space? Can i delete this in some way?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Aug 24, 2021 3:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2021 10:12 AM

With a properly formatted APFS drive, you should see only a single Macintosh HD - Data volume. Although I can't tell from the image you provided, it appears that you have more than one of these, and one is grayed out. Is that correct? If so, this can happen if you chose a volume, and not a container, when you reinstalled macOS.

FYI ... macBig Sur will format the system drive for APFS. It then creates a single APFS container with two volumes. By default, those volumes are: Macintosh HD & Macintosh HD - Data.

If that grayed out volume is the additional HD - Data volume, then it can be deleted using the Disk Utility.

For reference, here is a screenshot from the Disk Utility on my Mac:

Be sure to change the view, in the Disk Utility, to "Show All Devices."

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 24, 2021 10:12 AM in response to WF-78

With a properly formatted APFS drive, you should see only a single Macintosh HD - Data volume. Although I can't tell from the image you provided, it appears that you have more than one of these, and one is grayed out. Is that correct? If so, this can happen if you chose a volume, and not a container, when you reinstalled macOS.

FYI ... macBig Sur will format the system drive for APFS. It then creates a single APFS container with two volumes. By default, those volumes are: Macintosh HD & Macintosh HD - Data.

If that grayed out volume is the additional HD - Data volume, then it can be deleted using the Disk Utility.

For reference, here is a screenshot from the Disk Utility on my Mac:

Be sure to change the view, in the Disk Utility, to "Show All Devices."

Aug 25, 2021 12:31 AM in response to Tesserax

Thank you for your reply!

I looked at it and what i noticed that there is one Macintosh HD en two Macintosh HD data. Nothing is grayed out. So i am not sure if i can delete one of them. I made some screenshots of it. Maybe you can tell me if there is one that i can delete?

I appreciate your support.

Diskspace is full, Other volumes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.