Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4k HomePod mini, LG TV, Disney+ questions

Hi All,

Sorry this question has a few parts and any help is highly appreciated.

I am in Europe and I just bought the Apple TV 4K, 2x Home Pod Minis and paired with a LG OLED55E9PLA 4K TV.

1. I have Disney+ subscription and I can watch my shows and movies for free on my iPad but when I use the Apple TV, the for the same shows, it is telling me I must pay for rental. Is this normal? I must pay for Apple TV subscription now in addition to Disney+?
  2. I have Netflix subscription and I can watch it on my iPad but when I try to AirPlay it to my TV, first it will not work with AppleTV and it cannot play on the LG TV via AirPlay because the TV wants to use it's own Netflix App. The problem is when I do this, I cannot use the 2x HomePod Minis (because they require AppleTV) and I end up with the TV speakers on the back of the TV and they sound like crap. I don't plan to buy a sound bar. Any work around where I can use the HomePod Minis as my default speakers?
  3. When I use AirPlay, I have to select the HomeKit Apple TV & TV and not select the HomeKit HomePod Minis and then once the video is playing then I must go to AppleTV users and then select HomePods. Is this correct?

Thanks for any feedback!

HomePod mini, 14

Posted on Aug 24, 2021 11:34 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Aug 25, 2021 6:00 PM in response to wss64

Hi wss64,

Thanks for reaching out using Apple Support Communities. Here to help.

We understand you have some questions regarding accessing different services on your Apple TV.

Regarding Disney+, have you installed the Disney+ app on your Apple TV? You may be prompted to connect your Disney+ account but then should have access to your subscription content. The link below will assist with how to download apps on your Apple TV.

Download apps on your Apple TV

Some applications, including Netflix, do not support AirPlay. To watch Netflix content on Apple TV, you'll want to download the Netflix app from the App Store just like suggested above.. This will also allow you to access Netflix on Apple TV without using AirPlay.

Additionally, the information below may assist regarding setting up default audio sources. Check in Settings > Video & Audio > Default Audio Output to choose the HomePods as default.

Set up home theater audio with HomePod and Apple TV 4K

Hope this helps! Let us know if we can clarify anything further.

Apple TV 4k HomePod mini, LG TV, Disney+ questions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.