Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App Tracking Age Requirements Issue

The app tracking setting is unchangeably disabled for me -- grayed out and explained by the message at the bottom of the image:

This setting cannot be changed because your Apple ID does not meet the minimum age requirements.

However, I do meet the age requirement as I have been 18, a legal adult in my state, since March.

The support article regarding app tracking, titled "If an app asks to track your activity," states:

In some circumstances, the “Allow Apps to Request to Track” setting is disabled, including: 
- For users with child accounts or under age 18 by birth year, signed in with their Apple ID

That "by birth year" part stuck out to me as what could possibly be the hangup. It just does not quite make sense to me as such, given that it is currently 2021 and I was born in 2003, producing a difference of 18 years. Ignoring the curiosity I have as to why age is determined by birth year rather than a more precise birth date, I am not sure why Apple is convinced that I am still a minor.

Some troubleshooting attempts have been made by me already:

• I have confirmed that my Apple ID has my correct date of birth. (Image for proof)

• I checked that my software is up to date, and it is, at iOS 14.7.1. (Image for proof)

• I fully quit the Settings app (along with any other apps) and reopened it.
  • I power-cycled my phone, waiting a few minutes between powering it down and powering it back up.
  • I even briefly changed the birth year in my Apple ID to 2000.
  • I changed my birth year to 1997.
  • I finally corrected my birth year, back to 2003.

I tried again to alter the tracking setting after each of my efforts, but each to no avail.

If you have an explanation for the issue I am having, I would appreciate the insight.

If you have more solution ideas, I would be happy to try them and will let you know the outcome.

If you have had a similar experience, I would definitely like to hear about what was done to address it.

Thank you in advance!

iPhone XS, iOS 14

Posted on Aug 25, 2021 2:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2021 10:32 PM

same here, i’ve logged in and out of my icloud about 3 times and it’s still grayed out, if you found a solution please let me know? thanks.

12 replies

Sep 7, 2021 10:18 PM in response to EtherandGrey

Hey EtherandGery|

I am MoRayTSX, IPhone 6s User for about 2 years now

I've had the same problem for about a while now. I have needed tracking to store my game progress and other important data in work apps. I am currently having the same problem as you. It is greyed out, even though I am about 21 years now

One solution that worked for me is signing in and out of my Apple ID. Go to Settings, tap your account and sign out. Sign back in, and it was now toggle-able for me

Hope this works for you. Lemme know

App Tracking Age Requirements Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.