Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring data between iMACs

I recently purchased the new iMac 24" - What cable do I need to transfer data from my 27-inch, 2019 iMac? I plan on using migration assistant.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Aug 25, 2021 8:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2021 8:55 AM

You basically have three choices to connect these two Macs:

1. Connect both computers to the same local Wi-Fi or Ethernet network.
  2. Or connect both computers directly using a Thunderbolt or Ethernet cable.
  3. Or connect your new Mac to a Time Capsule or external drive that has a Time Machine backup of your old Mac.

To directly answer your question, you could use either an Ethernet or Thunderbolt cable to connect them together.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 25, 2021 8:55 AM in response to ellevi

You basically have three choices to connect these two Macs:

1. Connect both computers to the same local Wi-Fi or Ethernet network.
  2. Or connect both computers directly using a Thunderbolt or Ethernet cable.
  3. Or connect your new Mac to a Time Capsule or external drive that has a Time Machine backup of your old Mac.

To directly answer your question, you could use either an Ethernet or Thunderbolt cable to connect them together.

Aug 25, 2021 9:00 AM in response to ellevi

Hello, ellevi.

Per this Apple support document, a wi-fi connection is all you need. But... wi-fi can be flaky.

Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204350

If your new iMac is of the flavor that has an Ethernet port on the power block, an Ethernet cable is the best way to transfer data between the two iMacs.

Transferring data between iMACs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.