Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Send as SMS" in iMessage When on Wi-Fi

Good afternoon -

On my iPhone XR, I have "Send as SMS" enabled in iMessage; however, when I am on Wi-Fi, iMessage never sends the message to contacts who do not have an iPhone/iMessage - I have to turn off Wi-Fi, then use my data connection to send the text.

Is this a known issue, or is there another setting I'm not aware of that I need to enable?

Thank you.

iPhone XR, iOS 14

Posted on Aug 25, 2021 10:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2021 11:36 AM

kwfryatl wrote:

Good afternoon -

On my iPhone XR, I have "Send as SMS" enabled in iMessage; however, when I am on Wi-Fi, iMessage never sends the message to contacts who do not have an iPhone/iMessage - I have to turn off Wi-Fi, then use my data connection to send the text.

Is this a known issue, or is there another setting I'm not aware of that I need to enable?

Thank you.

Send as SMS works only when imessage is unavailable, not for text message. To resolve your issue you need to contact your cellular data provider and let them know.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 25, 2021 11:36 AM in response to Community User

kwfryatl wrote:

Good afternoon -

Thank you.

Send as SMS works only when imessage is unavailable, not for text message. To resolve your issue you need to contact your cellular data provider and let them know.

"Send as SMS" in iMessage When on Wi-Fi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.