Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what settings do I use when I erase the thumb drive in order to create an installer disk

what settings do I use to create a thumb drive in order to create a bootable Mac OS X Catalina installer

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 25, 2021 1:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2021 2:56 AM

The Thumb Drive, is to used as the Bootable Installer of Catalina using this method " sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled " where Untitled in command is name given to Thumb Drive. The Drive itself will be reformatted once the command above is run. IMHO - the drive should be in HFS Journaled with GUID Partition Map at least all my drives for this purpose were this format including Big Sur

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 26, 2021 2:56 AM in response to Donie1

The Thumb Drive, is to used as the Bootable Installer of Catalina using this method " sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled " where Untitled in command is name given to Thumb Drive. The Drive itself will be reformatted once the command above is run. IMHO - the drive should be in HFS Journaled with GUID Partition Map at least all my drives for this purpose were this format including Big Sur

what settings do I use when I erase the thumb drive in order to create an installer disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.