Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Would I have to pay forApple TV app to watch previously downloaded content?

Ok, I can’t seem to find a straight answer for this? I have downloaded 25 movies over several years, BEFORE they had Apple TV! I cannot watch them now, unless I have a subscription for the stupid Apple TV app, which costs money! I talked to a friend, who’s a lawyer, he said that’s illegal for Apple to do because there was no disclaimers at the time of purchase that we, as customers, would have to pay for another app to watch previously downloaded content, that was paid for at the time of purchase? Are we nuts? Can someone please explain this to me because I’m very very frustrated with Apple and if I didn’t have 3,500 songs, I would completely be done with them! Thank you for any help on any of these issues my fellow iPhone friends! Lillian

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Aug 25, 2021 3:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2021 12:11 PM

iTunes Store movies (and TV shows) are completely separate from the Apple TV+ subscription.

• Movies (and TV shows) that you have purchased stay yours “forever”. The only requirement is that you keep using the same Apple ID account as used for the purchase. Downloads need to be accessed through an authorized computer or associated mobile device. You may need to be online for an authorization ping. Downloads are not strictly needed: you may stream online directly from Apple’s servers.
  • The Apple TV+ subscription is for the Apple Originals only. You can’t buy Apple TV+ content. (Any Apple TV+ downloads expire in 30 days.) It is independent of other services. Downloads are not strictly needed: you may stream online directly from Apple’s servers. Subscription content is available for as long as you are subscribed.

The only thing that these have in common, is that both services are accessible in the same Apple TV app. You do not need to subscribe if you don’t want to. It is not required to subscribe in order to watch your purchased movies.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2021 12:11 PM in response to Lillianpeers

iTunes Store movies (and TV shows) are completely separate from the Apple TV+ subscription.

• Movies (and TV shows) that you have purchased stay yours “forever”. The only requirement is that you keep using the same Apple ID account as used for the purchase. Downloads need to be accessed through an authorized computer or associated mobile device. You may need to be online for an authorization ping. Downloads are not strictly needed: you may stream online directly from Apple’s servers.
  • The Apple TV+ subscription is for the Apple Originals only. You can’t buy Apple TV+ content. (Any Apple TV+ downloads expire in 30 days.) It is independent of other services. Downloads are not strictly needed: you may stream online directly from Apple’s servers. Subscription content is available for as long as you are subscribed.

The only thing that these have in common, is that both services are accessible in the same Apple TV app. You do not need to subscribe if you don’t want to. It is not required to subscribe in order to watch your purchased movies.

Would I have to pay forApple TV app to watch previously downloaded content?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.