You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhoneX flashlight burned my leg

Has anyone else gotten burned by their iPhone? For those who wear leggings/yoga pants with side-pockets built in, be warned. I inadvertently turned my flashlight on while sliding my phone into the side pocket while out for a walk. I noticed a burning in the side of my thigh but thought it was a muscle cramp. After the pain kept getting worse, I pulled my phone out to rub on the spot it was hurting and realized my flashlight was on! It's been three weeks since this happened and I STILL have a hole (the exact size of the flashlight) in the side of my thigh where I burned through who knows how many layers of skin. It's a painful, painful mistake. I wish Apple would make a safety feature on the flashlights...perhaps they turn off after a certain amount of time? Or they can detect when they're being covered up? I know I'm not the first person this has happened too.

iPhone XS

Posted on Aug 25, 2021 3:25 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2021 7:04 AM

Almost two weeks ago, I fell asleep with my iPhone in my pants pocket. Keep in mind that I fell asleep in cargo pants which were pretty thick. Unknowingly, the flashlight was on and I did not know it until the next morning. I realized I was burned a day or so later when I felt a bubble on my thigh and noticed three other small burns beside it. I allowed it to do it's thing and one day the bubble did pop. Ever since the scab came off 4 days ago, I have since noticed pea size hole in my leg. It's very alarming and I am trying not to freak out. I understand your pain and hope that this hole isn't permanent. I do hope Apple creates a safety feature as well for their flashlights. I've never received such a burn that forms a hole in my skin.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 2, 2021 7:04 AM in response to katyk48

Almost two weeks ago, I fell asleep with my iPhone in my pants pocket. Keep in mind that I fell asleep in cargo pants which were pretty thick. Unknowingly, the flashlight was on and I did not know it until the next morning. I realized I was burned a day or so later when I felt a bubble on my thigh and noticed three other small burns beside it. I allowed it to do it's thing and one day the bubble did pop. Ever since the scab came off 4 days ago, I have since noticed pea size hole in my leg. It's very alarming and I am trying not to freak out. I understand your pain and hope that this hole isn't permanent. I do hope Apple creates a safety feature as well for their flashlights. I've never received such a burn that forms a hole in my skin.

Sep 2, 2021 10:02 AM in response to dclay256

I've tried to contact Apple Support to simply share my story and suggest maybe future phones have a safety default where if the flashlight is covered up, it'll turn off on it's own after a minute. Seems logical to me! Sorry about your burn. Mine is slowly healing but I still have a concave "hole" in the side of my leg...the exact diameter of the flashlight bulb.

My iPhoneX flashlight burned my leg

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.