Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hdmi port not working

Hi I have a 2014 macbook pro and have been using an hdmi to hdmi cable to watch on my tv. Just today it stopped working. I tried changing the cable and still did not work. I checked in system preferences and when hdmi connected to tv no devices are detected.

can I connect my macbook to my tv with any other port or cable? Is my hdmi port broken? Please anyone with ideas....

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Aug 25, 2021 3:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2021 4:42 PM

Have you restarted the laptop?

Tried a PRAM Reset (hold the PRAM Reset for at least two chimes).

Check to see if the contacts on the HDMI port on your laptop look clean. It may be a bit difficult to see the contacts.

Does your TV have another HDMI port you can try? Do you have another device you can connect to the TV's HDMI port to make sure the TV's HDMI port is functional?

Other connection options are using a Mini-Display Port Adapter to either VGA or DVI if you TV supports either VGA or DVI connections. Apple should still sell these adapters. Keep in mind these adapters may not work properly depending on the resolution your TV uses.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 25, 2021 4:42 PM in response to dangergirl rach

Have you restarted the laptop?

Tried a PRAM Reset (hold the PRAM Reset for at least two chimes).

Check to see if the contacts on the HDMI port on your laptop look clean. It may be a bit difficult to see the contacts.

Does your TV have another HDMI port you can try? Do you have another device you can connect to the TV's HDMI port to make sure the TV's HDMI port is functional?

Other connection options are using a Mini-Display Port Adapter to either VGA or DVI if you TV supports either VGA or DVI connections. Apple should still sell these adapters. Keep in mind these adapters may not work properly depending on the resolution your TV uses.

Hdmi port not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.