Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unarchiving/unzipping has stopped working

Hi folks!

Im having trouble unarchiving/unzipping an files on my Mac mini 2020. Im running the most up to date software (Big Sur 11.4) and nothing seems to work. I've used archive utility and The Unarchiver and neither seem to work. I've noticed there is no archive.plist in my preferences and I'm not sure how to trigger the creation of one if that's what I need to do?

For context I'm trying to open a .BIN file, its an update for the BOSS RC-505 Loopstation. I've tried restarting, and redownloading the file but I just get told the contents can't be extracted.

Thanks in advance!

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Aug 26, 2021 5:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2021 11:16 AM

Boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and check again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 26, 2021 11:16 AM in response to AesopFox

Boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and check again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Aug 26, 2021 10:27 AM in response to AesopFox

Bin files are usually binary (raw data) files, and not archives.

Bin files can be firmware image files, for instance.

This unless somebody’s doing something semi-weird with file naming. Which happens. But from what I see at the BOSS RC-505 Link Station firmware update link (below), this zip download usage all looks pretty normal for this sort of product.

Here, you might be looking at an already-unpacked zip archive (some tools can helpfully unpack “safe” file types), or maybe there’s some other installed app (some add-on anti-malware app, and some higher-end network security firewall boxes can sometimes mess with downloads, maybe) that blocks or changes the filenames being downloaded.

But given what you’re indicating about the Bin, it seems to be a binary file.

Here is how this BOSS RC-505 Loop Station update is supposed to work:

https://www.boss.info/us/support/by_product/rc-505/updates_drivers/1099facd-f21a-48b9-ad45-20349c91f184/

Aug 27, 2021 4:20 AM in response to MrHoffman

Thanks for all your help! the system reboot in safe mode seemed to work. I realised what was happening is safari was automatically unzipping the file without me realising. So I downloaded it this time and it was a zip file, that when I extracted I got the folder with the .BIN file in it. Its actually this whole folder that needs to be put into the RC-505 system. Its been a while since I've used a computer (been on an iPad for a while now) and things have progressed significantly since I last used one regularly, especially with the new m1 chip!

Anyway thanks again to you both!

Unarchiving/unzipping has stopped working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.