Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a go around for a USB MIDI driver to connect my Yamaha MO 8 or my Yamaha Motif XF to my Mac Mini Big Sur

Is there a go around for a USB MIDI driver to connect my Yamaha MO 8 or my Yamaha Motif XF to my NEW Mac Mini Big Sur 11.5.2

Mac mini, OS X 10.11

Posted on Aug 26, 2021 9:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2021 11:48 AM

Congrats on your new purchase. 🙂

To be clear, the OS in your new mini is macOS 11 Big Sur. The "point version" (as it's referred to) is 11.5.2 – still macOS 11 Big Sur.

Apple Silicon refers to the "chip" that is the foundation of the CPU. Apple Silicon is the Apple-brand product that is replacing all of the Intel-brand CPUs of the former Macs.

And "Rosetta 2" is a layer of translation, an app if you will, that allows the Apple Silicon-based Mac to run applications built for Intel Macs. These so-called "x86" apps cannot run natively on Apple Silicon, so Rosetta does a translation. Rosetta isn't installed automatically on the Apple Silicon Macs, it is triggered for installation the first time an x86 application is launched on the machine.

So, this Yamaha driver requires: OS software that is macOS 11.x.x or newer running on an Intel-based Mac OR on an Apple Silicon-based Mac that has Rosetta 2 installed (to translate).

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2021 11:48 AM in response to Ricarroyando

Congrats on your new purchase. 🙂

To be clear, the OS in your new mini is macOS 11 Big Sur. The "point version" (as it's referred to) is 11.5.2 – still macOS 11 Big Sur.

Apple Silicon refers to the "chip" that is the foundation of the CPU. Apple Silicon is the Apple-brand product that is replacing all of the Intel-brand CPUs of the former Macs.

And "Rosetta 2" is a layer of translation, an app if you will, that allows the Apple Silicon-based Mac to run applications built for Intel Macs. These so-called "x86" apps cannot run natively on Apple Silicon, so Rosetta does a translation. Rosetta isn't installed automatically on the Apple Silicon Macs, it is triggered for installation the first time an x86 application is launched on the machine.

So, this Yamaha driver requires: OS software that is macOS 11.x.x or newer running on an Intel-based Mac OR on an Apple Silicon-based Mac that has Rosetta 2 installed (to translate).

Aug 27, 2021 10:50 AM in response to Ricarroyando

Hello, Ricarroyando.

The link that @hcsitas posted above appears to me to be the correct driver for your system.

Yours is macOS 11.x on Apple Silicon and will require the installation of Rosetta to run.

MacOS should prompt you to install Rosetta when you try to run the installer for the driver (or any other compatible app that requires it).

You never know, but hopefully Yamaha will get around to releasing a native version of the drive for the Apple Silicon Macs.

Is there a go around for a USB MIDI driver to connect my Yamaha MO 8 or my Yamaha Motif XF to my Mac Mini Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.