Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Could Not Set Up Apple Pay, An error occurred while setting up Apple Pay"

I had three cards in my Wallet on my iPhone 8 and tried to add a fourth, with no success.

All the cards I am trying to add are in the authorized list for my region, and I have been able to add them on my iPad.

I have tried the following "fixes" suggested both here in the community and outside, with no joy:

• signing out from iCloud (Apple ID) on the iPhone in question then restarting phone and signing back in
  • signing out from all 4 devices I had configured with iCloud then restarting each device and signing back in

I really do not want to have to reset and erase my iPhone, it's very time consuming.

Despite the above, tapping the little plus button on the top right of Wallet continues to give the error in the screenshot below.

I tried to access the Apple Support site tonight, but it was also giving an error message.

iPhone 8

Posted on Aug 27, 2021 1:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2021 8:18 AM

Well, I just got off the phone with Apple Support and got a result. It appears that my "region" (usually Switzerland), had been reset to United States at some point (perhaps during an iOS update?).

If you're thinking about resetting your phone or logging in and out of Apple ID, stop and do this first ->

Check your region settings and make sure they correspond to where you are and where you pay your bills.

Settings > General > Language & Region > (Pick your home country)

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2021 8:18 AM in response to David Libby

Well, I just got off the phone with Apple Support and got a result. It appears that my "region" (usually Switzerland), had been reset to United States at some point (perhaps during an iOS update?).

If you're thinking about resetting your phone or logging in and out of Apple ID, stop and do this first ->

Check your region settings and make sure they correspond to where you are and where you pay your bills.

Settings > General > Language & Region > (Pick your home country)

"Could Not Set Up Apple Pay, An error occurred while setting up Apple Pay"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.