Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My screen went to what I was told is a firmware lock, how can I get it back to the log in screen?

My screen is showing a lock and password box. I don’t know what password it wants and it doesn’t respond to anything I have tried. Anybody know anything about this?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Aug 27, 2021 3:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2021 4:03 PM

a screen showing a lock and a password field indicates a firmware password is set up on the mac. that means you can ONLY start the mac with the designated start-up disk. it needs the password you made when you set it up.

please see this article: Set a firmware password on your Mac - Apple Support

if you've forgotten that password, see the last paragraph in the above apple support article.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2021 4:03 PM in response to LostShoeScrapper

a screen showing a lock and a password field indicates a firmware password is set up on the mac. that means you can ONLY start the mac with the designated start-up disk. it needs the password you made when you set it up.

please see this article: Set a firmware password on your Mac - Apple Support

if you've forgotten that password, see the last paragraph in the above apple support article.

My screen went to what I was told is a firmware lock, how can I get it back to the log in screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.