Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sharing 1 library on different devices using different Apple ID

Can my family use my library for home sharing when they are signed in to their Apple ID?

I have NAS where all my downloaded media are kept (photos, music, movies, etc). This library is available on our Apple TV.

My question is: How can my son access this library using his Apple TV app on his iPad (or my wife using her Apple ID on her apple devices)?

Posted on Aug 28, 2021 3:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2021 4:32 AM

iTunes provides for two types of sharing, simple or network sharing, which shares the whole library or selected folders to any other computer on the local network, and home sharing which shares content from the signed in Apple ID to other computers and iOS devices signed into the same ID. I would suspect your NAS emulates the first type of sharing. You might want to explore the capabilities of Plex media server.

tt2

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2021 4:32 AM in response to xinaman

iTunes provides for two types of sharing, simple or network sharing, which shares the whole library or selected folders to any other computer on the local network, and home sharing which shares content from the signed in Apple ID to other computers and iOS devices signed into the same ID. I would suspect your NAS emulates the first type of sharing. You might want to explore the capabilities of Plex media server.

tt2

Sharing 1 library on different devices using different Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.