Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

One sender always ends up in Apple Mail 'Bulk Mail' folder

I have one sender - only one! - whose messages from a Windows PC to my Apple Mail always end up in the Bulk Mail folder, marked "junk". His email address is in my contacts and I have marked his messages as "not junk", but still they don't reach my Inbox without further action.

Any ideas what is going on here?

iMac 24″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Aug 28, 2021 6:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2021 7:45 AM

There are two common causes:

1) The Mail app is sending the message to junk as a local (client-side) action

2) Your email provider is sending it to Junk as a server-side action.

For #1 you can set up a rule to insure that the message get to your inbox. See:

Use rules to manage emails you receive in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

That article includes a link to using AppleScript to accomplish the same thing.

Cause #2 has been why I find mail from approved senders in the wrong box. This is harder to fix. My ISP is also my email provider and they have a web-based preference system that allows a lot of filtering and redirect options. I can set up blocks that take out an entire domain, or I can create a "pass" that approves a single address. I've had several senders where I've had to apply this to get their messages to show up.

If you are using a free email service like gmail you will need to ask your provider how to approve a sender.

Less common is something amiss with the sender's email service. You can ask the sender if they are having trouble with other recipients receiving messages.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2021 7:45 AM in response to georgefromsouthampton

There are two common causes:

1) The Mail app is sending the message to junk as a local (client-side) action

2) Your email provider is sending it to Junk as a server-side action.

For #1 you can set up a rule to insure that the message get to your inbox. See:

Use rules to manage emails you receive in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

That article includes a link to using AppleScript to accomplish the same thing.

Cause #2 has been why I find mail from approved senders in the wrong box. This is harder to fix. My ISP is also my email provider and they have a web-based preference system that allows a lot of filtering and redirect options. I can set up blocks that take out an entire domain, or I can create a "pass" that approves a single address. I've had several senders where I've had to apply this to get their messages to show up.

If you are using a free email service like gmail you will need to ask your provider how to approve a sender.

Less common is something amiss with the sender's email service. You can ask the sender if they are having trouble with other recipients receiving messages.

One sender always ends up in Apple Mail 'Bulk Mail' folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.