Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any suggestions on a problem getting an old ipod classic to sync? Nothing appears when it is plugged into my iMac.

My ipod classic will not open on my iMac. Tried Apple tech and troubleshooting. Has been working fine for many years. Just need to sync some new podcasts and songs. Any suggestions? Have a genius bar appointment for Monday but would love to solve it sooner.

iPod, iOS 12

Posted on Aug 28, 2021 12:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2021 12:17 PM

If you’ve already gone through the Apple articles on this topic:

If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support

and you’ve verified details such as that the cable works, have tried Safe Mode and have disabled and removed add-on VPN client apps and add-on security apps, and have checked the socket on the iPod Classic for pocket fuzz or other debris, you’re left to discuss this with Apple directly.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2021 12:17 PM in response to garyfromclinton

If you’ve already gone through the Apple articles on this topic:

If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support

and you’ve verified details such as that the cable works, have tried Safe Mode and have disabled and removed add-on VPN client apps and add-on security apps, and have checked the socket on the iPod Classic for pocket fuzz or other debris, you’re left to discuss this with Apple directly.

Aug 29, 2021 2:08 PM in response to garyfromclinton

The large free space value suggests that the database on the device might be corrupt. If all the media that you had on the device is in your library that isn't a problem, but it this was a manually managed device that contain content you don't have elsewhere you should see Recover media from an iPod - Apple Community and may also need the advice in there on recovering deleted/erased files using a recovery tool such as Recuva or EaseUS. It is unlikely that Genius Bar staff are able to go to such lengths.

tt2

Aug 29, 2021 11:49 AM in response to garyfromclinton

Sorry, I had not read your link yet. I see the procedure now but I think I'll wait to see if the Genius Bar associate can take me through this. I'm nervous about a reboot that would clean out my music and podcasts, although I know that re-syncing the device in iTunes should bring them back. Reading and interpreting the results needs someone with more knowledge than I.

Any suggestions on a problem getting an old ipod classic to sync? Nothing appears when it is plugged into my iMac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.