Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Download Apple Card transactions to Quicken

How do I download Apple Card transactions to Quicken on my MacBook Pro?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 28, 2021 1:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2021 1:59 PM

Hi Phil, if the need to go to a Mac using Mac OS rather than iOS, you’d need to download the supported format first to your iPhone or iPad and then AirDrop, email etc the file(s) to your Mac.

Sorry for any confusion.

6 replies

Sep 7, 2021 4:36 PM in response to Phil Haslanger

It is not quite so simple.

(Unlike almost all other credit cads and banks that can easily and simply use "One Step Update")

First you need to go to your Apple iPhone.

Find the app for "MY Wallet" and then search your wallet for the "Apple Card".

If the Apple Card is your only credit card that part will be easy.

Now search through your Apple Card menus for Download Files.

(This will take about 20 minutes to a half hour because it is hidden in the menu somewhere not obvious)

Eventually you will find the option to download your monthly statement.

But This is not quite what you want. The monthly statement is a .PDF file that, BTW, only vaguely resembles a statement from any other financial institution. While it lists and totals your transactions with date and merchant it does not include much information in the manner of how to contact the bank (Goldman Sachs) or how to send a payment to them. You need to do that on your phone or on a website mentioned on your phone.

Somewhere close to the Download statement menu, there is a list of types of files you can download to your phone. Possibly on the same page - I forget, I've only done it twice and the first time was unsuccessful.

FYI: You can only send payment to Apple Card using inter-bank transfer.

You want to find Quicken Files. They have a .QFX extension. You'll want to download that.

But wait!

Apple card wants to know HOW you want to download the file, giving you lots of unhelpful choices.

Only one will work. You'll want to download it to an email.

This is so you can mail it from your phone to your computer!

Send the email to yourself and then go find that email when it arrives on your computer.

Feeling accomplished? Don't! Now begins the confusing part.

From your email, you'll want to save your .QFX file on your hard drive.

THE BEST THING YOU CAN DO AT THIS POINT IS PREPARE A SPECIAL SUB-DIRECTORY IN YOUR QUICKEN FOLDER FOR SAVING YOUR APPLE CARD .QFX FILES.

At some point in this process, my browser (CHROME) started giving me SERIOUS WARNING ALERTS that I should not save or open this file (because it is an executable program file, which might be a virus) But this is the how .QFX files work. If it is infected, I'm already screwed because I did do what I will describe below. I will find out later.

When you open a .QFX file, it starts up Quicken and then inserts all the transaction data into your Apple Card account register in Quicken. The register transactions show up in the download window (which is at the bottom of the register window).

But that will not be what happens in this case because Chrome has renamed your

"This Month's Apple Card,QFX" file to a string of random numbers and letters and a different (non-.QFX extension) file name to further protect you from opening an executable file. Are you still with me??

What I did is rename that weirdly changed file to a file that I will remember later using this naming standard that I will remember and Quicken can operate properly with: My new file name = " YEAR-MONTH-APPLECARD.QFX " where I insert the year and month like in this example: "2021-09-APPLECARD.QFX".

(This will make it easier to access the files because they are easier to keep track of.

Now you can open your renamed .QDX file!

If Quicken is not open you will have to wait for it to load and use your log-in password.

Once Quicken is open, the .QFX file will load the transactions into your Apple Card Register.

(If you open the same .QFX file again it will load a second set of identical transactions which you will want to delete. One way to prevent this is to (once again) change the .QFX extension on your already-altered to Quicken file extension to something else. (I suggest something like " YEAR-MONTH-APPLECARD.QFX-done " (which will then not execute, and reloading l info into quicken.)

Sep 7, 2021 5:36 PM in response to Unimpressed-Mike

continued: If you don't have a Apple Card register, I think you get the option to make one. ( I had one already because I was already tracking my Apple Card transactions, by entering them manually on Quicken.)

Once the .QFX file has loaded the data into the register, you will need to approve each transaction (or all at once) after you figure out the problem below. You may already know how to approve the downloaded transactions if you have ever done it before, with any other banking company.

You'd think this would solve your issues, but for me this just multiplied them.

Your Quicken app on your phone will now stop working. Your previously visible Apple Card transactions will now disappear. Furthermore Quicken lists as errors every Apple Card Transaction you tried to upload to your web app.

It also altered the account number for the Apple Card in your settings

For the last 20 years it had been my practice of manually recording all my transactions as I make them and including a image of the receipt (called an "attachment" as indicated by a paper clip) with every transaction.

When I entered the downloaded, mailed, Chrome-renamed and my "name-fixed-back-to-.QFX" rename into Quicken, Quicken DID recognize and DID match all my downloaded transactions with my manually-entered identical transactions. And I WAS able to perform a reconciliation to verify I had not made any errors (and neither had Apple) but THEN . . . something odd happened.

When I use One-Step Update to download all my banking transactions from different banks, each transaction adds a "Posting Date" (Posting Dates are usually hidden, but I make mine visible to check the occasional double-posting of transaction when Quicken changes some part of their program with an update and I download the same transaction more than once) Apple doesn't offer a "Posting Date" with their downloads.

And for some unknown reason, after downloading my transactions from Apple Card as described above I can no longer see them in my Quicken app on my phone. Additionally, my Apple Card settings changed so that my Apple Card Account number is replaced by a credit card number that includes letters now.

Go figure.

I haven't solved those problems yet. I just discovered them.

BTW: I alerted Apple about some of the above problems and after an hour on the phone, my representative finally told me that the problem was with Quicken and i should get Quicken to fix it. Oddly, none of my other accounts have these problems.

Download Apple Card transactions to Quicken

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.