Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SECURE DELETE THE TRASH BIN

I wish to have the option of Securely Deleting the items in the Trash Bin on my MacBook Pro (running OS BigSur 11.5.2).

However all the answers I can see state that there is an option to do just that in the Advanced drop down menu of Finder. However, that isn't the case on my screen!

Can someone please tell me how I can go about selecting the option to perform a Secure 7 Pass Delete of my Trash Bin?

Thank you

Posted on Aug 28, 2021 1:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2021 7:15 PM

What year MacBook pro?

Most recent models have an SSD boot drive. When you Empty Trash on those, with TRIM active, the files GONE. Every 'Empty Trash' is a secure delete.

Within seconds, the drive controller erases the blocks where those files used to be, in preparation for new data. then the block numbers are randomized. There is no lurking data residue. NOTHING can be recovered by any means.

Secure erase was removed because it caused excessive SSD wear, but provided no additional benefit.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2021 7:15 PM in response to acprinting

What year MacBook pro?

Most recent models have an SSD boot drive. When you Empty Trash on those, with TRIM active, the files GONE. Every 'Empty Trash' is a secure delete.

Within seconds, the drive controller erases the blocks where those files used to be, in preparation for new data. then the block numbers are randomized. There is no lurking data residue. NOTHING can be recovered by any means.

Secure erase was removed because it caused excessive SSD wear, but provided no additional benefit.

SECURE DELETE THE TRASH BIN

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.