Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't select a solid line in Preview Markup

Mac Big Sur 11.5.2

In Preview, when I use Markup to draw a line or shape, it only gives me the option for a dotted or a chalk line. How do I get a solid line???

The middle section of the menu - where the tutorials indicate you would select a solid line, a dotted line, or a chalk line, my menu lacks a solid line.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Aug 28, 2021 1:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2021 2:16 PM

Howdy,

Those two in the middle are optional line styles. Uncheck them for the default solid line. In your screen shot example, click again on the chalk line to unselect it.

Edit: VikingOSX is right, you would want to toggle the drop shadow option at the bottom off if you didn't want that. I was focused on the solid line thing. :-)

ivan

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2021 2:16 PM in response to JustaCluelessUser

Howdy,

Those two in the middle are optional line styles. Uncheck them for the default solid line. In your screen shot example, click again on the chalk line to unselect it.

Edit: VikingOSX is right, you would want to toggle the drop shadow option at the bottom off if you didn't want that. I was focused on the solid line thing. :-)

ivan

Aug 28, 2021 1:59 PM in response to JustaCluelessUser

In Preview on my macOS 11.5.2 system, and whether image or PDF is selected, I can deselect what appears to be selected in the line menu by clicking it again, because these are toggles. In your case, that would be clicking the chalk line style and the last item (drop shadow) again to eliminate them from your line segment styling and arrive at just a solid line.

Can't select a solid line in Preview Markup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.