Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a 2010 iMac running el Capitan. I need to update my browser. Big Sur won't operate on it. I've tried to find an older browser unsuccessfully

have a 2010 iMac running el Capitan. I need to update my browser. Big Sur won't operate on it. I've tried to find an older browser unsuccessfully

iMac 21.5″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Aug 28, 2021 3:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2021 3:31 PM

Big Sur won't but High Sierra will and that may give you more browser options. See the following from Identify your iMac model - Apple Support

iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2010)

Model Identifier: iMac11,2

Part Number: MC508xx/A, MC509xx/A

Latest compatible operating system: macOS High Sierra 10.13.6

and also see: How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2021 3:31 PM in response to DGC1940

Big Sur won't but High Sierra will and that may give you more browser options. See the following from Identify your iMac model - Apple Support

iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2010)

Model Identifier: iMac11,2

Part Number: MC508xx/A, MC509xx/A

Latest compatible operating system: macOS High Sierra 10.13.6

and also see: How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

Aug 29, 2021 4:34 PM in response to DGC1940

Once you have upgraded from El Capitan to High Sierra 10.13.6, you can install Firefox 91.0.2 or the current Chrome browser. The Safari browser in High Sierra is seriously outdated from current security protocols, and you may encounter issues with selected higher security websites. There is no Safari update from Apple for operating systems (presently) older than macOS Mojave (10.14).

I have a 2010 iMac running el Capitan. I need to update my browser. Big Sur won't operate on it. I've tried to find an older browser unsuccessfully

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.