Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imac wont start after big sur reinstall

I have started a reinstall of big sur on my late 2015 iMac, everything seemed to be fine. Had a progress bar , and the last time I looked it said about 4 hrs to go, next time I looked, maybe 10 min. later the screen was black. I kept coming back and tapping the space bar or track pad to see if it would wake, but nada. It’s been like that now for about 3 hrs. I pressed the power button, nothing. Did this reinstall brick my iMac?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Aug 28, 2021 8:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2021 2:32 AM

Use wrote " I have started a reinstall of big sur on my late 2015 iMac " was there an issue requiring a reinstallation ??

May what to see if reviving the machine by power down by whatever means. Disconnect all external devices. Restart and immediately hold Shift key until the Apple Logo Appear then release. If it works - this is Safe Mode and does a Repair Disk, clears cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. It May or may not allow the installation process to complete - hopefully successfully.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2021 2:32 AM in response to wildernessbob

Use wrote " I have started a reinstall of big sur on my late 2015 iMac " was there an issue requiring a reinstallation ??

May what to see if reviving the machine by power down by whatever means. Disconnect all external devices. Restart and immediately hold Shift key until the Apple Logo Appear then release. If it works - this is Safe Mode and does a Repair Disk, clears cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. It May or may not allow the installation process to complete - hopefully successfully.

Sep 3, 2021 3:43 PM in response to PRP_53

this machine has never performed the way i had expected. in fact this one has a new motherboard, I had weird things happening from new and ended up taking it in and having it properly tested. but it's still not as good as i would expect for running my CAD software. it still surpasses the suggested requirements, but it's laggy. the real reason i did the reinstall is because of this but also it started to take a long time to boot, like 45 sec. and when it did, most of the time it took another 30 sec plus before it connected to my mouse or track pad. that seems to have been fixed now. but here's the report, maybe there's something in there that you might see to explain the laggy CAD performance.

Sep 3, 2021 3:19 AM in response to wildernessbob

User wrote " Somethings not right that's for sure " Is a rather blanket statement. In what way ??

If one really whats to see the condition of both the Hardware and Software in a Snap Shot >>>

Suggest downloading the Application Etrecheck directly from a well Respected ASC Contributor. The application is free or paid from added features. Run the application with Full Disc Access ( Security & Privacy - Full Disc Access ). It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software. The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last )

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS.

Sep 4, 2021 4:19 AM in response to wildernessbob

Thank you for the Report.

There are no known Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS. There are Malware and Adware that does affect macOS and are often times downloaded as part of an Application from Third Party UnTrusted Site and get installed along with the Application. For that purpose - Malwarebytes is already installed

Suggest Removing Bitdefender as per Developers Specific Instructions

Suggest Removing Objective-See as per Developers Specific Instructions

nl.nielsmouthaan.daily.launcher From the Apple Sore - this App appears compatible with Catalina 10.15 and no mention of compatible with Big Sur 11.5.2

Silverlight.plugin is outdated and not longer required nor supported.

250.79 GB (Shared - 190.15 GB used, 59.13 GB available, 40.92 GB free) - Is ok but may need to monitor. Normally need to keep 15% = 37.5 GB of the drive as Free Space for everything to function properly

Below are the highlights from the supplied Etrecheck Report

More than one antivirus app - This computer has multiple antivirus apps installed.

BitdefenderVirusScanner.app

one notification

Antivirus software: Apple, Objective-See, and Malwarebytes

com.objective-see.ransomwhere.plist (Objective-See, LLC - installed

250.79 GB (Shared - 190.15 GB used, 59.13 GB available, 40.92 GB free)

Running app: nl.nielsmouthaan.daily.launcher

Plugin: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Silverlight.plugin

imac wont start after big sur reinstall

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.