Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to stop email links from opening in apple's mail app?

Yes, the mail app is deleted. Yes, gmail is set as default. It continues to attempt to open in mail. I cannot copy the email links and it will only offer to download the mail app.

How do I stop this? Unfortunately, my iphone's planned obsolescence won't happen for a few months, so i'm stuck as an apple customer until then.

Posted on Aug 29, 2021 12:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2021 1:11 PM

Thank you for your response. Like my original question stated, I have already tried what you're suggesting. It didn't work. Maybe pictures will help.

Gmail is set as my default.

I still receive this error message and am not given the option to open a different mail app upon long-pressing the email.

Meh, now I can't undo the way it's marked as solved. Oh well -- I doubt this would have resulted in a fix for the problem anyway.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2021 1:11 PM in response to Phil0124

Thank you for your response. Like my original question stated, I have already tried what you're suggesting. It didn't work. Maybe pictures will help.

Gmail is set as my default.

I still receive this error message and am not given the option to open a different mail app upon long-pressing the email.

Meh, now I can't undo the way it's marked as solved. Oh well -- I doubt this would have resulted in a fix for the problem anyway.

Aug 29, 2021 12:43 PM in response to akitaken

The default mail app is controlled by the settings of the App you want to set as default.

If you have downloaded another mail App, you would need to go into the Settings for that App and set it to be the default mail App.

When opening a Mailto link in a browser it will ask you if you want to open that selected App.

If creating a new Email from inside an App you will need to select the specific app you want to use for the email. You can scroll all the way to the end of the icons to see more, and add the mail app you want to use.

Also, no such thing as planned obsolescence.

Android devices get much less Os updates than Apple devices. 2 maybe 3 years if you are very lucky. Normally just 1 year of updates for most non flagship phones.

How to stop email links from opening in apple's mail app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.